jnoble

Is the Benzomatic JT850 the best?

Re: Is the Benzomatic JT850 the best?

Think of it like the compressed air cans. When you turn them upside down the liquid comes out and instantly turns to gas creating a freeze spray (when a liquid turns into a gas it's endothermic - absorbing energy [heat] from the surroundings). If you did the same thing with flaming liquid propane you'd end up with a lot more propane gas than you wanted, and probably two fewer eyebrows :)

When you turn the cannister upside down it's a one-way valve trying to prevent anything from escaping, but you can force the liquid propane into the bottle from the other direction. That way when you stop forcing the new propane into the bottle the valve kicks in and prevents it all from escaping.

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread cuz I just got an JT850 this week on amazon. MY GOODNESS it lights the coals faster. This is a revolution in coal lighting. I've been using fire starters and/or a small handheld propane torch. it completely makes it possible to just "quickly fire up the KK" for a small weeknight protein searing session.

Plus, it's so much fun to use that I'm gonna get that other torch from harbor freight as well! Lastly, if I ever need to storm any bunkers and torch them, I've got that covered too.

I like a MAPP torch to start a small amount of charcoal fast for a low and slow.

A charcoal chimney will get a big fire raging for grilling in 6 to 8 minutes. I have not tried the weed burner, but it seems like it would be the most fun.