Porkchop

What's going on the grill this weekend??

Re: Bump

Did they leave out all the citrus juices on that recipe? I love the stuff on steak or porkchops.
Nope' date=' there's orange zest and orange juice in it. And garlic. lol[/quote']

It was not in your list above, so I was just wondering. I like lemon or lime juice in it too. It is not really authentic, but fresh crushed cilantro is also a nice addition.

-=Jasen=-

cilantro is in it too. Rather than make you keep guessing at ingredients... lol

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon grated orange zest

2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 medium cloves)

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

1. Combine soy, oil, sugar, cumin, oregano, zest, garlic, cilantro, and pepper in medium bowl. Remove 1/4 cup of marinade and combine with orange juice and vinegar in small bowl; set aside.

2. Place remaining marinade and steaks in gallon-size zipper-lock bag; press out as much air as possible and seal bag. Refrigerate 1 hour, flipping bag after 30 minutes to ensure that steaks marinate evenly.

3. Remove steaks from marinade. Grill steaks as desired. Don't re-use the used marinade.

4. Transfer steaks to shallow pan and pour reserved marinade over top. Let the steaks rest. Serve.

cilantro is in it too. Rather than make you keep guessing at ingredients... lol

Well good, I love the stuff. You inspired me to grill some steaks too this weekend. Naturally I am using the Mojo marinade now - hehe. I agree with their recommendation on marinade times. It is too acidic to marinade long. I like to use the vacuum marinader on it also.

-=Jasen=-

I think to recipe for ATB come from the Green Egg forum long before it was on the K forum. :?:?

Yeah, there's really nothing new under the sun (Loose quote from King Solomon) :shock:

In fact, King Solomon may have tried ABT's by a different name back in the day, he tried pretty much everything to satisfy his every desire.

Majestic wasn't trying to lay claim to it, he was just posting the recipe here for all those who didn't know what they were.

Yes, there are some of those Eggers that have been ceramic grilling for 20 plus years...there is a wealth of ceramic knowledge in the green room.

Mojo meat turned out good. I put them on lower grill and let em sizzle for a few mins, then flipped and sizzled a bit more. Then shut the grill down and let them sit for a few more minutes. Inside temp 130. The outside got crusty black, perhaps from the high heat and the brown sugar in the mojo. But not unpleasantly burned. Inside was properly pink, after a rest.

Tossed in some sweet potatoes (whole) to cook in the shut down heat.

No, these were not dishes that were to be served together. lol

Fish and ribs

Woo hooooo! KOWABUNGA! Etc. :)

I have two slabs o' back ribs to do, and some fish (hallibut and ahi tuna). Haven't decided exactly how to do the fish, since I don't have a fish pan. Maybe just on foil. Ahi done very fast, of course.

I might use an herbed rub, but I'm not sure - ahi is so good as is.

Ribs, I think I'll do the screaming yellow mustard and rub method. Maybe JJ's rub, maybe Dizzy. Maybe some of each!!

Seems like it's going to be such good weather this weekend, I can play outside in the flower beds while the cooker is cookin ribs. Mmm!

Anyone have a preference between regular pork spare ribs and back ribs? I'm not a rib expert, so what is a benefit/drawback of one or the other? :smt016

Why not do the fish right on the grill - sans pan?
The tuna is probably "meaty" enough not to fall through. So that's ok.

You think the hallibut is? It's not exactly flakey, but I'm afraid it will fall through the grill bars when it's cooked. I'd hate that.

Why not do the fish right on the grill - sans pan?

That's how I always do my salmon :D Works fine. Though some fish do tear up easier, I don't think hallibut and ahi tuna are those types. Yeah, I agree with the Monkey, put them right on the grill.

Sanny, You gotta have an oil rag!

The most important thing for your fish is to make sure it doesnt stick to the grid. If it does, then you have a higher chance of it falling apart. If you prevent the sticking, then it will form a slight crust that will help it hold together.

Get yourself a small section of an old rag - I use an old sock after my 9 year old wears a hole in them after a week :? . Roll it tightly, so you have a tight ball. Tie it with a piece of kitchen twine. Find a small rubbermaid container (an empty yogurt container would be great) as close to the size of your rag as possible, put the rag in it, and fill it with an inch or so of oil. Most of it will soak into the rag.

Heat your grill to temp, and just before adding your fish, grab the oil soaked ball of rag with your tongs, and wipe your grill grate. Then add the fish.

I keep my oil in the fridge, because it will get that nasty old oil smell if you leave it out. The fridge may thicken the olive oil some, but it still works great, and lasts for months. The rag will turn black, but thats okay, too.

You could try using paper towels or a loose rag to oil your grid, but they catch fire way too easy. The tightly bound rag wont have this issue.

Sanny' date=' You gotta have an oil rag!...I use an old sock after my 9 year old wears a hole in them after a week :? [/quote']So, the one my dog steals and chews holes in is ok? No WAY I'm oiling up one of my hand knit ones (many of my socks are hand knit - I should post pics)! And do you recommend washing the sock after the 9 year old/dog is through? Or does the "use" add to the flavor of the Q?

:smt048

Sanny' date=' You gotta have an oil rag!...I use an old sock after my 9 year old wears a hole in them after a week :? [/quote']So, the one my dog steals and chews holes in is ok? No WAY I'm oiling up one of my hand knit ones (many of my socks are hand knit - I should post pics)! And do you recommend washing the sock after the 9 year old/dog is through? Or does the "use" add to the flavor of the Q?

Just wash em after the month and before you wear them again...unless you got really dry feet, then it may help there too :roll:

I washed mine...but I would be open to hearing your experience if you wanted to try something different :D

I used some generic lemon/garlic/herb/sea salt rub for one piece of tuna, and a mushroom rub on the other piece. Baby potatoes microwaved for a minute or two, then tossed in olive oil and Dash-like seasoning. Potatoes on the grill to finish up, then when they were about done, tuna on the grill. Just enough to keep it pink in the middle, and cooked quickly on the outside.

Asparagus fresh from the garden, steamed lightly. Still haven't grilled asparagus nicely, so didn't want to harm the first of the season by not cooking it properly. Steamed broc. Fresh watermelon for dessert.

And red wine, of course. Sterling cab, 2005, as I recall. Stood up well to the herbs on the tuna.

Too full for the salad, but I picked the lettuce and arugula just before supper. We'll have it tomorrow, instead.

No, no pics. Sorry. For all you know, it was all my imagination! :) But the Snooky liked it, so that's what's important.

Night night, all.