Porkchop

What's going on the grill this weekend??

Birthday beef

Just fired up the cooker and put on a striploin primal, 7 1/2 pounder. This is what you cut New York Strips from. Brined it for a couple hours and then piled on a bunch of dry rub a patient gave me. Along with it I put a 6 pound standing 4 rib roast that had been marinated several hours in soy sauce, Worcestershire, garlic and olive oil. Cooking them at 225 with a big pile of mesquite. I'm not sure what temp to pull them, by tomorrow A.M. I should have it figured out. These meats came from U.S. Wellness. I'll be taking it all to San Antonio tomorrow for my mom's birthday. A little Bordeaux wine, some Tito's vodka, and a bit of Don Julio Anejo, all in moderation of course, to add to the anticipation of plating this feast. That's "What's Cooking This Weekend"!!!

Unbeleivable!!!!

Alright folks, I know these forums are full of superlatives, but this is no joke. You HAVE TO do a slow smoked, standing 4 rib roast!!!! This may be the best meat I've ever eaten, superior to even the best filet mignon. I took a boneless 4 rib roast, about 8 lbs., marinated it in soy, Worcestershire, garlic and olive oil, and roasted it at 225. I put a LOAD of mesquite in there. Because this is in essence just a giant ribeye steak, I pulled it at what would be about medium, 150 degrees, and foiled it. It was out of this world good. If you are not a fan of ribeye steaks, do this anyway. Because this meat is so tender to start with, it doesn't require prolonged cooking. This baby was done in about 4 hours or so. After you do your first one, you can adjust your done temp to how you like it. I'm sticking with 150! You will absolutely be the star of the party with this one. http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=781

And now for the striploin...

In addition to the rib roast, I did a striploin primal, also from U.S. Wellness. It was spectacular as well. Especially for those who prefer a New York Strip to a ribeye. It's a little leaner and a little drier, and it cooks much quicker to reach 150. It also got rave reviews. Try this one as well! I'm pretty sure the slow smoke with mesquite was the killer on both of these.

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok

rib roast

I am a huge fan of rib roasts but have never seen nor tried one slow cooked. How would you compare it to a more typical cooked rib roast? Did you start at a higher temp to get a nice sear on the outside? Your marinade sounds good too. What are the portions of each ingredient?

Any pictures?

Thanks

It's the only rib roast I've ever made. Cooked at 225 for the duration, no sear. Marinade was just thrown together with reckless abandon. Try equal parts of soy and Worcestershire, the add as much garlic as you think and splash in what looks like enough olive oil. Make enough to cover the meat in a big ziploc bag and squeeze out all the air. That's as quantitative as I can get! Photos, maybe.

It's July 17! What's on?

I'm doing butts and ribs.

Dad needs butts for his Bible study picnic.

And we ALL know that pork fat is the way to a man's heart, so I'm doing some ribs. Gonna use them as bait for a handsome fella.

(No, not the candy striper. New one.)

I'm thinkin teriyaki glaze on the ribs. What do you think? Home made, of course.

Yes, I KNOW the grill is too full. I'll rearrange stuff when the meat shrinks. No room to put the rib rack in.

And for those of you with a K7 and a deflector, I know you feel my pain when I complain that I couldn't get a decent low/slow temp with that blasted deflector in. I went with the drip pan as my only deflector.

The oem deflector is too large, and doesn't allow sufficient air flow around it, so the fire snuffs out easily. Grrr.

(for people unfamiliar, a K7 is by Another Manufacturer, not a KK)

36349537.th.jpg

Holy moly girl' date=' you need an upgrade, can you put that grill in your pocket, or were those Brontosaurus ribs?? :lol:[/quote']

Well, in retrospect, I should have bought the larger one. Or not bought one at all, and bought a KK. But, that's for another day. Now, I have a working cooker in a size slightly smaller than a KK OTB. Knock ceramic, I've not had any difficulty with mine.

I can get several butts on it, no problem, but the ribs are long slabs. And I put them on the smaller raised grill, because I figure they'll come off before the butts will. Easier to get them off the upper, than the main, if the butts stay on a bit longer.

We'll see. :)

The larger K' date=' if purchased at the same time as your #5 would probably not be around now. :twisted:[/quote']

Please... don't belittle my cooker. It's a SEVEN, not a mere five... :D

Ribs are off. Overcooked (not much tooth), but delicious. Butts still on. Fire stayed lighted overnight. Steady temp, too. Life is good, and I'm sleepy! But I'm making the glaze for the ribs.

I should have brushed it on when they cooked, but no way I was staying awake all night for THAT. I figger the handsome fella will prefer a lady without wrinkles and dark circles under her eyes, and who is not so crabby he wants to throw her out of the car.

And it's still pork fat, after all.... I think the charm will still work.

Good looking cook Sanny and it looks like you got the job done! What else matters???!!! :D

You're so right! I took some ribs in a tupper (with knife and forks) to Starbucks for my weekly date with Dad. He snarfed them down! Munch munch munch mmmmm .... slurp.... So, I'd call them a success! And he was very happy to receive the butts.

He was going to just refrigerate and reheat them tomorrow, and pull them then. I think I convinced him they would be far easier to pull now, while they're still warm from the grill (and get the fat off them), and then reheat before the party.

Alas, he bought bottled bbq sauce to put out for people to use. But, I can't help him there. I'm not making up batches of sauce, and he wasn't inclined to, either. Let's hope the Dizzy rub that I used provides sufficient deliciousness that they won't want to adulterate the porky goodness with bottled sauce.

One can lead a Dad to pork, but can't make him use the right sauce. :dontknow:

Please... don't belittle my cooker. It's a SEVEN' date=' not a mere five... :D [/quote']
The larger K' date=' if purchased at the same time as your #5 would probably not be around now. :twisted:[/quote']

Sorry about that. It was was a BAD try at a joke. :oops:

lol. I was laughing at your joke! :) Just it's got enough strikes against it without someone suggesting it's a mere FIVE! :lol:

Update

Just to pass on the reviews...

The pork butts were judged to be "The BEST EVER" from the happy recipients. And the ribs? Well, jury is still out on whether the magic of pork fat will work with the new beau. But my dad loved them! We enjoyed ribs with our morning coffee at Starbucks on Saturday.

:happy8: