bryan

Montgomery, AL Cell Phones and driving

A great law in my opinion, it has been that way in British Columbia for about a year now.

T Rex

Is it enforced? We (US) have a bad habit of passing some good laws but don't specify who will enforce them so....

It is a sure way to lower accidents and deaths.[/quote:2dbblgzk]

Can't see how it would hurt........

T Rex

BS

I think it's a crock of sh.t. Why single out cell phone usage when there are a hundred other things you can do in the car that are equally distracting? Ever changed your pants in the car while driving? Or salted, peppered and ketchuped your burger? Or fumbled for a box of Kleenex on the back floorboard? Driven with a dog loose in the car, or on your lap? Mopped up a coffee or soft drink spill ? Steadied something on the passenger seat so it didn't tip over? I have done all those things and a hundred other odd things in the car, and so have all of you. The simple fact is you have a responsibility to drive safely anytime you do ANYTHING in the car that is not specifically driving. We can't outlaw every conceivable act that might cause you to be distracted. Prohibiting cell phone use is like gun control, the nanny state trying to control every aspect of your life, some politician trying to make you think he actually "cares". There is something called personal responsibility that seems to be overlooked in our society. So when you drive your car, anywhere, anytime, be careful!!!! I know damn good and well you will be doing SOMETHING in your car that is not driving, even if it's not cell phone use.

I agree it may be a BS law but you know it works. Its been law where I live for about a year now. Get caught driving even holding your phone and it will cost you $155. Sure there are tons of other driving distractions but for me it comes down to accessability. Everyone has a cell phone which greatly increases the possibility of driving while distracted.

I like the law. Everytime someone is driving like an idiot 95% of the time they are on the phone.

You can still talk on the phone while driving just get a hands free device

I love the law,my sister was killed by a 19 year old distracted driver...texting ...almost two years ago. She never saw the car coming. Sure hope that message was important, that 19 year old will remember it forever, Don,t shave,put on makeup, read a map, eat fast food,etc. Do one important thing at a time,please people!

let's see the evidence

Actually, I have no idea that it works. And I'm pretty sure the bureaucrats in any Dept. of Transportation where there is such a law have not designed an accurate study to determine a proper endpoint and a way to study it. However, if it DOES work then we need to outlaw EVERY other activity in the car that is distracting and dangerous, if we are to be consistent. I maintain this is nothing more than some busybodies wanting to feel good about themselves while shoving ever more government intrusion in to our lives.

As for myself, I will continue to use my cell phone in my car in a way that is safe.

We have a new law in Texas that prohibits cell phone use in an active school zone. I'm pretty sure hundreds of Texas kids were NOT being mown down by cell phone drivers before, but we got the law nonetheless. I can imagine a driver on the cell phone suddenly finds him or herself in a school zone and THAT flusters and distracts them as they try to hurry up and end the call while not being rude.

Re: let's see the evidence

compact 3000-4500 #'s

mid size 4500-5500 #'s

mini van - suv 5000-7000 #'s

Ever brought one of these to an emergency stop from 50 mph?

Want someone to try it with your loved one in the right place at the right time?

Now put a cell phone in that drivers hand which way do the odds go?

It's interesting that the snippet of the law in the newspaper makes it sound like its only an offense to use the hand held cell phone if you commit another infraction at the same time. Here, using a hand held cell phone while driving IS the offense - no conditions attached. And its a fine of up to $150.00 plus a surcharge (tax) to the State of New York of $85.00.

I have said from the beginning (when the hands-free laws started popping up) that the problem is not what you have in your hand, it's what your mind is doing, and using a hands-free phone is not more or less safe than holding one to your ear.

Subsequent studies have proven it.

Here is a bit from one study

Risk of Crash or Near Crash event;

Dialing Cell Phone

2.8 times as high as non-distracted driving

Talking/Listening to Cell Phone

1.3 times as high as non-distracted driving

Reaching for object (i.e. electronic device and other)

1.4 times as high as non-distracted

clarity

You bring your car to a stop with your foot, not your hand. However, if you think stopping with a cell phone in your hand is impaired, how about any other object in the known universe in your hand? Coke, pipe, cigar, cigarette, tissue, lipstick, pen, pencil, paper towel, map, iPod, snuff can, hamburger, chicken leg, eye drops....

I'll say it again.

Outlaw EVERYTHING in the car that might distract you, or nothing. Not just the cell phone. Let's apply a little intellectual rigor, and consistency, to this discussion.

As for that study, I want to see the citation.

Have you ever heard that second hand smoke causes cancer? You hear it often enough, but it is a bald faced lie. The biggest study ever done on this actually found a PROTECTIVE effect from exposure to second hand smoke; you are LESS likely to get lung cancer. This study was carried out by a politically driven group with an agenda, not pure scientists. They hated their results, and sought to hide them.

That would be the World Health Organization.

This is tangential to the discussion but I only bring it up to make the point that "studies" are not always sacrosanct. Like the falsification of the science on the global warming hoax.

The study mentioned on cell phone use may in fact be dead on accurate. It also might be total hogwash. But I would like to see the same study done on every other possible hand held item.

the problem is not what you have in your hand' date=' it's what your mind is doing[/quote']

Wow, I can't imaging the reaction if I had made a post against your point...

Here is the study from which I got the data. http://www.lahighwaysafety.org/pdf/Repo ... -FINAL.pdf

Again, my point that it's the brain that is the problem, not the hands (kinda thought we were in agreement on that) I

I know a few people that have hit parked cars, one was reading an album cover (to give you an idea how long ago that was) another spilled her drink. If this goes too far you won't be able to use a navigator 'cause it's always trying to get your attention.

I've seen firsthand the horrific consequences of distracted driving. If it were up to me, anyone under 19 would be prohibited from using a handheld electronic device while driving period, handheld or hands free.

Texting and talking on a cell phone are different animals. I'm okay with talking on a cell phone as long as it can be done without creating a distraction for the driver. The 'one-handed' operation of the vehicle is not the issue, its inattention. A false sense of security of a hands free device may actually make things worse...

Here's the Virginia study: http://www.vtti.vt.edu/PDF/7-22-09-VTTI ... action.pdf

Okay, enough depressing things for now...back to BBQ'n for me. Monday Night Football, BBQ steak, and Hmmmmm....maybe some scotch and a cigar in my shop for the second game.

Fetz, I was replying to Cook about stopping quickly, and then rambled on from there. Yes, I understand your point about what the mind is doing. As an instrument rated pilot, it is hard for me to accept that people can't drive and talk on the phone at the same time. The level of multi-tasking we have to do while flying on instruments is far more intense and demanding. However, I will take your point since 99.9% of the population who drive are not up to the task of instrument flying. My wife is always saying I am too critical and demanding of people and expect them to pursue excellence and perfection like I do. It's pretty disheartening to think people can't drive and talk on the phone at the same time. Or exercise personal responsibility.

Fetz' date=' I was replying to Cook about stopping quickly, and then rambled on from there. Yes, I understand your point about what the mind is doing. As an instrument rated pilot, it is hard for me to accept that people can't drive and talk on the phone at the same time. The level of multi-tasking we have to do while flying on instruments is far more intense and demanding. However, I will take your point since 99.9% of the population who drive are not up to the task of instrument flying. My wife is always saying I am too critical and demanding of people and expect them to pursue excellence and perfection like I do. It's pretty disheartening to think people can't drive and talk on the phone at the same time. Or exercise personal responsibility.[/quote']

You cannot compare yourself, an accomplished pilot and Medical Doctor to the average individual. Unfortunately, most people cannot multitask to save their own lives which is why the Government needs to step in and create laws to try and curb the behaviour. There's a law against killing your neighbor that annoys the sh!t out of you but people still do it anyway. Its not going to stop the behaviour but meant as a deterrent. I think you're giving the 18 year old new driver more credit than they deserve. Are there those that can drive, talk on the phone and eat a juicy burger? Sure there are and they'd probably be safer than the 90 year old man that should have had his licence pulled years ago. The sad reality is most cannot.

People exercise personal responsibility all the time. Key word "personal". Sadly, they could care less about you, your family or anything they will not directly benefit from. Your safety vs. their tanning appointment-you lose every time.

As one who travels all over the country, there are plenty of other distractions out there to be concerned with. I was in Hawaii last week, where cell use is also prohibited while driving, so I will offer an example that was quite a valid concern in that environment. I don't know about you guys (or gals) but when I see a fine-looking-hottie walking down the street, it gets my attention! Hell, i might not even notice my cell phone ringing with that kind of distraction. If they are waiting to cross, it very well could cause a traffic delay. :D

Now, who's gonna tell all the women that they need to wear a burka or stay at home in an election year?!

Just sayin'.... :P