LarryR

Not much cooking going on

Doesn't seem to be a lot of cooking going on lately. I haven't uncovered my KK in two weeks, until today! SO's birthday so I'm doing a prime rib. We're having some good friends over; women will wrap-up baby shower plans for SO's son's baby and I'll be grilling some wings and sausages for the Giants game. Looking a great day on the KK.

Anyone else cooking this weekend?

Re: Not much cooking going on

Baba Booey back at cha! I have been cooking quite a bit, undiminished. I cooked two 10 pound picnics last weekend. I cooked 12 pounds of pork chops on Tuesday, the 26th. Today, I am going to install the super gasket and touch up a small repair I did to Mable's cap. It was no fault of Mable's, of course. I stuck her lid shut and then tried to force it open when the cap was still hot. Dumb, huh? It was a rookie mishap on the third day of ownership. I am just getting around to fixing it. Tomorrow, I will probably throw on whatever meat is for dinner. I intend to have Mable earn her keep throughout the winter. Happy cooking OTB Gang!

Hey Larr, looking forward to your KOoks............. :D I have been married to Mrs. T Rex for over 32 years and during that time I maintained my weight within 20 lbs. of when I got married, 188 lbs. I bought a KK in Feb of this year and recently tipped the old scalearoo at 210 lbs! :eek::shock:

I am afraid I will have to keep Johnnyboy's cover on the KOoker for a while longer......... :smt002 Mrs. T is doing fine however she works out daily and will just have to suck it up until I see the numbers 205 on the bathroom scale.... :(:(:(

Maybe Dennis should have a "disclaimer" accompany these units. ;)

T Rex

I'm doing a hot fast brisket smoked with whole pecans, it's out there right now puffing away. Actually, it's the hybrid method. About 225 to 250 until the meat hits 165, then wrapped in foil and the temp kicked up to 300 until finished. It has been a long time since I did a low and slow brisket, but I did one Wednesday for a funeral on Thursday. Low and slow the whole way. What a reminder! The hot fast method is SO much juicier. I'll never do a low and slow brisket again.

What I really am curious about is using the whole pecans for smoke, as I normally use mesquite. Taste report to follow tonight or tomorrow.

I could not detect a flavor nuance from the pecans. Maybe they would make a more noticeable impact on a chicken. This brisket was super juicy and moist compared to Wednesday's low and slow. Far superior. Foiling at 160ish is THE way to cook a brisket. The first part of the cook was at 215 degrees for six hours til the meat hit 160, then foiled and the temp bumped up to 300. That took about 2 hours. SO much better than an"air" brisket.

I have been doing some cooking...just havent been organized enough to post about it. Saturday, I rolled up a Buffalo wing fatty. This was made with ground chicken, and stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, hidden valley ranch mix, and franks red hot.

img0187r.jpg

Rubbed the outside with some more Frank's red hot, gave it a "light" bacon weave, and put it on the grill at about 225

img0200ck.jpg

Then, I spent the better part of the day like this, watching the blue smoke puff out of the cooker (smoked with apple and peach), sipping several Yeunglings, and listening to some good music.

img0199d.jpg

After a few hours, I took it off the grill and snacked on it while watching my Missouri Tigers get crushed by the cornhuskers (one last time for old-times sake, i guess).

img2598si.jpg

img2600i.jpg

In hindsight, the thing tasted awesome, but a full 8oz package was way too much cream cheese for the 1# of meat. I need to find something a little less rich to fill it with. Maybe half as much cream cheese, just enough to carry the ranch flavor, and some frito chips?

I made some fish tacos recently too - recipe on the board already.

img0159j.jpg

img0160k.jpg

Earlier in the week, I smoked some spicy chicken sausages, and let the kids grill some hot dogs over the fire pit, since they balked at the chicken sausage.

img0146b.jpg

img0149en.jpg

img0205h.jpg

Im using the grill any chance I get, as an excuse to be outside enjoying the FINALLY cooler and less humid FL weather.

This brisket was super juicy and moist compared to Wednesday's low and slow. Far superior. Foiling at 160ish is THE way to cook a brisket. SO much better than an"air" brisket.

Don't hold back Doc, tell us how you REALLY feel!!! :lol::lol::lol:8)

FM - I will have to search out that Fish Taco recipe. I'll have to admit that I thought fish tacos were an urban myth until about 5 years or so ago when I was traveling in San Jose. We don't do "fish tacos" in the Northeast much, and you don't see them on many menus (at least around central PA). But your pics have convinced me to give them a shot. The fish tacos I tried in San Jose were made of lightly battered and fried fish... I think I will prefer grilled Mahi. 8)

Do you have any Mexican food places in the Northeast?

Of course we do!

Taco%20Bell%20logo.gif

Real Mexican you need to seek out, there was a place called Juanitos in Red Bank and Howell back in NJ that I really miss. Up in MA we've got a choice of Taco Hell or a slew of places like Acapulcos which is what happens which TGI Friday's and Taco Bell have a drunken night together - essentially marginally better than Taco Bell with a few more sides, lots of alcohol, and 10x the price.

Fish tacos have been creeping into some of the standalone non-Mexican restaurants so they're apparently becoming trendy up here.

Shameless plug for my Teak Decking

I've been building teak decking for a Russian customer.. It's engineered, all teak and has grain matched sawn wear panels. Comes up to 12 feet long..

IMG_1527_2.jpg[/attachment:2yyh70id]

post-6980-139082391204_thumb.jpgIMG_1526.jpg[/attachment:2yyh70id]

post-6942-139082391211_thumb.jpgIMG_1532.jpg[/attachment:2yyh70id]

post-6370-139082391637_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082391649_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082391661_thumb.jpg

I got tired of painting and re-setting nails, so we had our wood deck torn out and replaced with CorrectDeck. The only downside is that it is a little slippery when wet. It looks new, three years on. And no visible fasteners. I would much prefer natural wood, if it didn't require so much care. We have over 2,000 sq. ft. of decking.

Is that Trex' date=' or CorrectDeck? Or similar?[/quote']

Yes, it is Trex, I also got tired of constantly painting a repairing the deck and as you say having to pound nail heads. I recently replaced all my wood windows with vinyl replacement windows and had covers put on the frames. I have vinyl siding so now there are only a few things I have to paint. My goal is to be paint free, sorry Dennis your decking looks beautiful but it would still require maintenance.

Damn, I forgot to take pictures of the ribs before I took them off and gobbled them up. Oh well all gone now. :tongue8: