jdbower

Stoker for Linux, any interest?

A while ago I had been working on a program that provided a web proxy into the Stoker using a Linux box that I called stoker_mon. In a nutshell, you install an Apache webserver on the Linux machine, optionally forward traffic from the Internet to it, and it communicates with the Stoker to grab graphs and set the cook parameters - without exposing the Stoker's insecure interface to the rest of the world. It's still got a lot of really rough edges but I think it's largely usable (at least how I use the Stoker). The nice thing is you can use a program like VirtualBox to get it running on Windows or a Mac.

Is there any interest in this from the forum? If so I'd be happy to look into adding features or changing things around a bit or making it a bit easier to set up (I've been thinking of just creating a VirtualBox image that's all ready to go). There are some screenshots and additional documentation here:

https://www.ebower.com/docs/stoker_mon/

For reference, here's a graph of the temperatures outside while I was away for a few weeks:

https://www.ebower.com/stoker/cooks/2010-11-07_20-04_172.16.13.100.json.gnuplot.png[/img:2ussd4w2]

I had multiple probes running, even changed the set temperature in mid-cook, what's not obvious is that I was actually monitoring a second Stoker at the same time. Obviously I also support multiple blowers on a single Stoker.

Re: Stoker for Linux, any interest?

JD - I earned a computer science degree about 12 years ago, I sold jet engines for commercial aircraft for 10 years, now I sell commercial aircraft for a living, and I have no idea what you just said. You, my friend, have a KK illness.

Actually I do understand what you just said - impressive.

Cookie

Re: Stoker for Linux, any interest?

Interested? Well, I guess my username says it all. Of course I would need a stoker. "Rock" came by my place to look at my mexi-K shortly after he released an early version. I like the open interfaces on the thing. I've just been fine so far running in manual mode without a guru/stoker/etc.

Have you ever used RRD for storage/graphing? I use it for lots of custom system monitoring displays at work.