brett

Cooking a raw ham on the KK

Re: Cooking a raw ham on the KK

What a great site! They could make it more obvious they're in Seattle, WA. I have some Brit friends from Thai cooking classes who work/worked at Microsoft; hopefully they're all over this store.

I just wrote their FAQ to ask if their free range eggs are flash-pastured. How do they keep the yolks from cooking?

Syzygies,

If you looking for free range chicken, eggs, grass feed beef, or Berkshire pork I suggest you go to:

http://www.holdingranch.com/

They are close to you (Located in Little Shasta Valley CA).

My wife and I have been cooking there beef for a while now (we found them at the local farmers market). We just placed a bulk order for beef and we are going to place a bulk order for Pork.....

The quality is outstanding and they are very nice people....

Tony

Syzygies - oh yeah... the 'crikey' alias that all the brits are on at microsoft are all over it. they even do drop-offs at a parking lot in msft. I'm an ex-msft brit of course :) the butcher shows up at the queen anne farmers market in the summer.

their bacon is the best i've ever tasted - even better than you can get in the UK as it's amazingly hand-smoked.

where'd you take thai classes? With Kasma in Oakland?

Where'd you take thai classes? With Kasma in Oakland?

Yes. I take it you know Nigel and Matthew? Nigel bought a ceramic cooker after they had tandoori chicken on mine, one evening after class. Alas, I hadn't figured out yet that KK cookers rule.

For anyone interested, here is Kasma's web site:

Thai Food and Travel

Her cooking is as good as the best found traveling in Thailand; I've made the comparison (on one of her food trips). I don't know a viable alternative for studying Thai cooking in the U.S.

For people who need to travel to take Oakland classes, the weeklong intensives make for a great vacation in San Francisco. That's what the Seattle contingent did. We always included quiz night at the definitive Brit pub in SF.

Small world... yes I went to school w/ Matt and Nige. I also joined Nigel and Lynn on the Southern Thailand trip and have taken basic intensive myself. Highly recommended!

I'm glad, as Nigel's mexi-K gives me something to poke fun at when he's spraying wd-40 on his rusted vent and scooping tiles up off the floor before cooking :) Big contrast to my KK :)

to close this thread...

thanks to LAtrapp and his pointer here is my current plan:

- 10 lb raw ham

- cook roughly 25-30 minutes / lb = 4.5 - 5hrs

- maintain 225-275F in the KK

- apply glaze during last hour every 15-20 mins

- pull when hits an internal temp of 140F

i'll let you know how it goes...

ham was spectacular.

cooked at 14lb butt half. cooked faster than expected - about 20 minutes / lb. started the ham at room-temp and set pit temp was a constant 225 maintained by bbq guru.

pulled it off at 135, wrapped in foil and left for an hour or so to finish cooking.

followed the recipe from LAtrapp post above, and used two starbucks VIA packets for the instant coffee granules. sounded weird and smelled intensely of coffee when i made the glaze, but didn't impart any coffee odor into the meat.

forgot to take a pic, sorry. next time :)