jnoble

Buying 23 inch versus 19 inch

Hello all.

I suspect this topic has been discussed before. But I am in pre purchase mode here. Comments would be appreciated on the 23inch versus the 19 inch.

I use webers and lump charcoal. I am currently using:

For smoking, a Traeger pellet smoker. For bbq, a weber WSM 18 inch (stoked). For grilling, a Weber 22 inch kettle.

So I have plenty of cooking space and cooking machines already. But what I want for that area of my house, is something beautiful and amazing and of course the KK is that. I don't really need a lot of cooking space, so I was thinking of the 19 inch. The difference in cost is not an issue.

But first, I want to make sure I'm not missing something. You know, I buy one and then someone says "but oh my god John, didn't you know that the 19 inch doesn't have the essential and wonderful third intenal fliperagidge thingie?"

That's what I'd like to know. If the 19 is all that the 23 inch is, except for a bit of a reduction in size, I'll get it. But is there an actual, real, difference?

Thanks in advance.

John, up in the pacific northwest.

Re: Buying 23 inch versus 19 inch

I've also got one of each, but I tend to use the 23" more frequently. Some of that is that I use the 23" for extruded coconut that I use for anything 350F and below and the 19.5" is lump that I use for high temp grilling. I find the 23" to be a bit better proportioned aesthetically, but really fit and finish is excellent on both so you really have to pick nits to make an opinion. The 23" is also just the right size for the Costco pork loins I love to cook ;)

You can read my comparison here.

Re: Buying 23 inch versus 19 inch I'm Happy to chime in here.. when I set out to make a smaller grill.. I set out to make it 20% smaller than the 23" or 18.5" As work on the mockup took on a life of it's own it grew into a 19.5". So the 23" is actually only 18% larger.. Does not sound like much difference when in fact it "feels" more like 25-30% smaller for some reason.. My furniture analogy is to compare a 6' and 8' table or buffet.. the 8' does not sound that much bigger when in fact it is much larger in a room.. I always tell people if you have no space or budget restrictions/constraints absolutely go for the 23". You will never notice the additional fuel consumption. You're obviously an avid charcoal chef or you would not be willing to make the financial commitment the 19.5" requires.. Delivery is almost the same for both.. So when all is said and done, I guarantee you will never regret stepping up but might feel like you bought the sports car without the V8 sports package. I've only built 27 of the 19.5" OTB's and we're now building in the 700's for the 23". When you hear people ranting and raving about the Komodo Kamado, they are talking about the 23" I wanted the 19.5 to have the same grill height, just because it's smaller I did not want people to hve to bend over to grill on it. This gives the lower a less voluptuous, more stretched look.. Which is a bit less asthetically apealing to some. These are cement castings when we were working on the molds.. fetch?id=66723fetch?id=66722fetch?id=66720fetch?id=66721

post-6370-139082392431_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082392435_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082392437_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082392441_thumb.jpg

Re: Buying 23 inch versus 19 inch

For what it's worth... I used to use a BGE in Large. It's now at the cabin and I have a KK 23. Because of the openings in the grills (top one has a trap door, bottom one has an opening for adding wood chunks) the 23 is not 'crazy large'. I'm not sure I'd have been happy had I got the KK19.