Bugs

change username to bugs

Re: asbestos accusations

I got:

amosite |?am??s?t|

noun

an iron-rich amphibole asbestos, mined in South Africa.

ORIGIN early 20th cent.: from the initial letters of A sbestos M ines o f S outh Africa + -ite 1 .

i didn't know that amosite started out as acronym!!

(i was thinking more on the line of being named after sir amos such-and-such)

Re: absolutely asinine

I personally think one would have to be absolutely ignorant to believe that HW uses asbestos.

True to his character it was absolutely asinine (and ignorant) for RJ to claim this..

I just called the director of HW and he said he would fax over the letter immediately. Nuf Said. :wink:

Great, as that is the only way to put this rumor to rest once and for all.

Let me toss in a word in defense of Kooky, though. The only people who know for certain whats in a cooker are the people who made them. To call someone ignorant or asinine for seeking clarification of the charges is rather Johnsonesque in itself.

Remember, many (likely thousands) of people have been burned by their previous ceramic cooker purchase. I, too would be sick of answering the charges, especially if I knew them to be false. But for the rest of us...its just due diligence.

To call someone ignorant or asinine for seeking clarification of the charges is rather Johnsonesque in itself.

I stand by the ignorant to believe that HW uses asbestos statement. Do your homework and you will see that HW spent millions in asbestos lawsuits over the years. For them to continue down that road would be unthinkable.. So yes ignorant about asbestos and HW. (Do a google search on the topic)

The asinine part was directed at RJ only..

I respect and applaud your and Kooky's due dilligence and I will be sooo happy to put this BS to rest :wink:

To call someone ignorant or asinine for seeking clarification of the charges is rather Johnsonesque in itself.

I stand by the ignorant to believe that HW uses asbestos statement. Do your homework and you will see that HW spent millions in asbestos lawsuits over the years. For them to continue down that road would be unthinkable..

I have a hard time with that argument. Should the mere history of litigation be enough to assume that HWR no longer produces anything with asbestos in it? One needs only look as far as RJ Reynolds, Phillip Morris, and the rest of the tobacco industry to find flaw in that logic. :?

Silicosis is known condition, as is the carcinogenic eventuality of prolonged exposure to quartz and silica dust. Someday, it may even be the next free-for-all in litigation. So yes, companies do sometimes weigh potential litigation/settlement as a cost of doing business and proceed accordingly. (Thankfully, or we may all be still riding horses to work) :lol:

I am not saying KK's specific blends have it in there, I accept your affirmation to the contrary. I have NO problem accepting that RJ wildly throws allegations, no matter how baseless. I am simply defending the questioning which resulted from such allegations. I just wish someone had cried "PORTLAND CEMENT" when I was preparing to buy a K :D

I might add that I applaud your frank answers. I was banned from the other forum for just asking about M61 and whether I should remove my firebox to apply it! Maybe it (M61) contains asbestos? :shock:

Firemonkey - well it is a two-fold answer! I was born at WVU just about 50 years ago and we have a son that goes there (plus one at Georgia Tech, and one at Salisbury) so we do enjoy some sports! I live in Centreville on the eastern shore. So where did you live? Good hearing from ya,

John

Nearly neighbors - If it werent for a mile or two of bay between us. I lived in Annapolis, a mile or two from the Annapolis Mall until I was 21, and sought out to conquer the world. I had a friend or two in Centreville, but other than that the only time I saw it was on the way to the beach!

ASBESTOS CLAIMS FOR $4 BILLION

New York Times

July 30,2006

http://tinyurl.com/lmtne

COMPANY NEWS; HALLIBURTON SETTLES ASBESTOS CLAIMS FOR $4 BILLION

The Halliburton Company, the world's No. 2 oil field services company, said yesterday that it would pay $4 billion in cash and stock to resolve 300,000 asbestos-related personal injury lawsuits in one of the largest settlements ever. The plan was announced in a bankruptcy court case in Pittsburgh involving a former Halliburton subsidiary, Harbison-Walker Refractories Inc.

I have a hard time with that argument. Should the mere history of litigation be enough to assume that HWR no longer produces anything with asbestos in it? One needs only look as far as RJ Reynolds, Philip Morris, and the rest of the tobacco industry to find flaw in that logic. :?

The difference here is that refractory designers/engineers can produce their product without the offending material... the tobacco industry is stuck with tobacco/nicotine...

I will admit to being a bit sensitive to the issue... It has been the proverbial thorn in my ass.. and I guess you wiggled it a little and I barked a bit, for this I apologize... By monday, I will have the letter and can put this to rest for good. :wink:

Letter

Does this mean that HW never faxed the letter? :?:

Last week I called Don again from HW and he thought I would just post his comments that were sent to me. I asked again for a letter on the HW letterhead and he said he would do one better and have the top guy in the states write it on ANH letterhead scan it and send it to me for framing.. :wink::wink:

BTW this is what they Emailed me..

Date: July 9, 2006 1:27:16 PM GMT+07:00

To: 'Dennis Linkletter'

Subject: RE: Heylp

Dennis:

You got it my friend.

I am absolutely certain that the present day ANH Refractories Family of Companies product lines are 100% Asbestos free across-the-boards [however we're et al. unfortunately not yet 'free' of it's out-of-control greed-fueled from in many cases alleged collusion betwixt the Legal Beagles and claimants many of whom are in fact likely suffering from nothing other than compensation neurosis legacy cost$ but our Executive Management Team is committed to getting a lid / moratorium on what is oft times more resembling of attempts at perpetrating fraudulence than redress for actual losses sustained beyond a preponderance of the evidence!!] and have been for decades.

I'll reply [more] promptly with absolute verification from our HQ on this subject.

Best regards,

Don

Date: July 10, 2006 6:45:30 PM GMT+07:00

To: "Schlanker, Don"

Cc: Dennis Linkletter ,

Subject: RE: Heylp

Don:

I have access to all of Harbison-Walker’s mix cards and I can assure you with 100% certainty that we use no asbestos in any product manufactured in the United States or anywhere else in the world.

Tom

I'm going to follow up and make sure I get this up.. :wink::wink:

Dennis,

Glad you're following through. I'm sure that Kooky and Fubar aren't the only readers that were anxiously waiting for a letter 8) .

Assuming you get that letter and post it in it's entirety, it'll be interesting if a certain manufacturer that has asserted your product contains asbestos publically apologizes and withdraws his statement.

I'm sure if a retraction isn't issued, it'll be the subject of several posts in the Kamado Fraud Forum :P .