slu

Suckling Pig

For my birthday my brother shipped a suckling pig to me. You can imagine my surprise when the coffin-like package arrived at the front door. I plan on cooking it the first weekend in April. I'm thinking low and slow initially, then 325 to get the skin to crackling stage. What do you folks think?

Re: Suckling Pig

No plans for using the rotisserie on this one. The pig weighs about 18lbs frozen. In order to fit it on the large grill, I will have to slightly coil it; that, or severe the head and cook it separately on the dome grill. This is uncharted territory, and I have no idea how long it will take to cook the thing. I'm thinking 3-4 hours at 220, and then another 3 at 320. I'll have to search the net for a clue.

I begin thawing the piglet tomorrow. It will roast next Saturday, and I have decided to just do it low and slow, likely at 250 till done. The size of the party has grown a bit, so I thought I would throw a pork butt on the upper sear rack as well. I figure the drippings from the butt will baste the pig below. I'll take photos, and this time I will remember to put the memory card in the camera!

fetch?id=66753fetch?id=66754fetch?id=66755

One suckling pig + one Komodo Kamado = SWEET EATS!

The pig weighed 19 pounds Cook time was 5 1/2 hours Cook temperature was 250 for 5 hours and 350 for 30 minutes Charcoal was Kamodo 2003 Extruded Coconut Charcoal and Halls Hill Hickory Charcoal

post-6800-139082393005_thumb.jpg

post-6800-139082393009_thumb.jpg

post-6800-139082393013_thumb.jpg

The belly on the guy tying up the pig doesn't look like the guy who "beat anorexia"!

Actualy Doc, my stomach is even thinner than the guy sewing the pig! That being said, my brother-in-law is the one doing the suturing, and in real life he is an equine veterinarian. Naturally, I let him do the stitching!

Nice Pig! I noticed that you have the same Wolf Stove that I have in my kitchen. My wife insisted on the red knobs (I wanted the black) she was right the red are my favorite.

Your wife was indeed correct. Good choice!

Great looking pig! Ok this is weird' date=' I also have the same Wolf range, but with black knobs and duel fuel. It's the KomodoKamado of ranges! :D[/quote']

I'm not a materialistic person, but when form and function synergize, I can be persuaded to acquire! I value both!!

I have been reloctated by my company three times in the last 20 years and I have had Viking, Thermador, and Wolf. The Wolf is the one I prefer, never had trouble with the Viking but I did have trouble with the Thermador. Sub Zeros in all three houses and love them.

I am also not wealthy but the kitchen in my past homes has paid me back when I sold, well worth the investment.

We bought a new Thermador when we built the house 15 years ago, the control module burned out, got it fixed but the oven would randomly turn off. Pretty upsetting around Thanksgiving time. This was before the KK. The Wolf was found on Craigslist from a lady who "divorced well",got a new furnished condo and was selling all the appliances, we were too late for the Subzero. You can put a lot of side dishes in that oven! The "beast(s)" of honor go in the KK!