lee grabowski

After One Year Review

fetch?id=68266

I have owned a 19.5" OTB for a year now and still admire how beautiful, well crafted, and thought out the KK is. It is very well packaged and crated, we had no problem unloading it or getting it in place, I built a ramp to roll it up to my porch. It looks like a beautiful piece of yard art in place, the KK looks like it belongs on my porch. I am so glad that I don't have a metal grill there any more. We have cooked a wonderful tasting Pizza on it, I would recomend this to everyone trying it because it was fun for the entire family (be sure to get some fresh Basil, it adds great taste). We have cooked many Chickens and also Rotisseried them with great results. Yesterday I cooked a Boston Butt for 10 hours, the meat was moist and tender. The Steak cooked on the lower grate is better than the restaurants. Here are some other thoughts: 1) The top is spring loaded so it opens and closes easily. 2) The top also has a locking feature that others don't, so it does not leak, this is key in keeping your heat at the temperature you want, this is not mentioned much in this forum, but it is a real big plus. ;) 3) It included 2 grates for different cooking options. Also some pans and an indirect cooking stone. 4) I have learned to control the low temperature cooks like at 225 degrees by using a set feeler gauges. For my cooker if I open the bottom draft damper to 0.055 (55 thousands) and open the top about 1/2 to 3/4 turn I can keep my temperature right at 225 degrees. I have found if I open the lower damper to 0.070 my temp will rise, if I go down to 0.040 opening the temp will drop. So a small amount of increased opening makes a difference, this has helped me a to keep the temperature where I want it during my cooks. 5) The small amount of ash is not a problem to deal with, I probably only clean it out every 4-5 cooks then put the cold ashes on the flowers. I made a long handled scoop and a tray with all the left over wood from the crate that the KK came in. 6) After you own a KK for a while and get to see another brand of ceramic cooker then you will realize how much better, and well thought out this KK really is, it surpasses them all. 7) You will not have to build or buy a stand to put it in, it is ready to cook in. 8) I was concerned about buying over the internet but the sale was flawless, Dennis is wonderful to work with,everything went just as he said it would. I hope this helps anyone who is interested in a Kamado Komodo