fcnich

Bison

Re: Bison

I hope you do try to smoke up a Bison brisket and please report back on what you find! I would think that it may be a touch drier than a beef brisket as I believe it would be less fatty. However, I could be totally wrong and you end up with an exceptional experience! Let us know! 8)

Ok i will try the bison, my kk was to be delivered today but the truck driver called and said his lift gate was broken, now i have to wait till Monday!!! Cooking my 2 pork butts as i write on my old smoker now. I will be happy to report back on the bison. Bison is very lean indeed, not much fat so it will be a learning expierence, but thats what we do right?

I eat a lot of bison steaks and they are always tender and with much less fat. Let me know how the brisket turns out as there are several bison ranches near where I am retiring to at the end of next week, and it is readily available, but expensive.

I have just found a place that has organic Wagyu brisket, may have to splurge on that one as a way to christen my KK when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

Yes, I've smoked a bunch of different bison cuts. As mentioned above, the cut is very lean which means you'll need to do one or more of the following:

1) Inject & soak with marinade

2) Wrap in fat (fat netting, bacon, etc.). Note that you won't get any crust on the meat with this method.

3) Limit air movement around the meat (KK does a good job with this, other smokers not so much)

4) Foil after the first few hours; include 1/2c or so of marinade or other mixture in the foil (essentially braising at this point but the meat has already absorbed maximum smoke). Again, this will soften the crust of the meat.

If you've successfully cooked Select grade (versus choice or prime) beef brisket before then do the same with the bison & it will turn out well.

Note that bison has a stronger flavor than beef so it can stand up to stronger seasonings / flavors.