tlinder

max. weight of a turkey in a KK

Couple questions. Are you spatchcocking the turkey(s)? Planning on using double racks - upper and lower? Using mounts, like beer butt chickens?

The classic is about the same diameter as my old K. I found it easier and quicker cooking two smaller birds (10-14 lbs) rather than one larger bird. I also prefer the taste of the smaller. If you spatchcock the turkey you could place one on the upper and one of the lower. If you stand them on mounts, you might could get three on it.

If you are going to stick with one larger bird, I doubt there is any one you could buy that would not fit the grill - unless it was an ostrich - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Couple questions. Are you spatchcocking the turkey(s)? Planning on using double racks - upper and lower? Using mounts, like beer butt chickens?

The classic is about the same diameter as my old K. I found it easier and quicker cooking two smaller birds (10-14 lbs) rather than one larger bird. I also prefer the taste of the smaller. If you spatchcock the turkey you could place one on the upper and one of the lower. If you stand them on mounts, you might could get three on it.

If you are going to stick with one larger bird, I doubt there is any one you could buy that would not fit the grill - unless it was an ostrich - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

I actually planed to do the turkey low and slow on the main grill with a drip pan on the lower grill.

Thank you for your recommendations on doing two smaller birds instead of one. I would like to do a whole bird for this event. It's just way more spectacular :D

So let's see how big the biggest turkey is, that I can get here in Switzerland. I will report back with pictures after the event.

Tobias

-=Jasen=-

I actually planed to do the turkey low and slow on the main grill with a drip pan on the lower grill.

Thank you for your recommendations on doing two smaller birds instead of one. I would like to do a whole bird for this event. It's just way more spectacular :D

So let's see how big the biggest turkey is, that I can get here in Switzerland. I will report back with pictures after the event.

Tobias

Might I make one more suggestion here. Please make test bird before your big event. I would hate for it not to meet your expectations for the event. Most people do not do low and slow poultry as it tends to make it very dry, unless you take special precautions. Seems to be popular to cook them as hot as possible without scorching (nice olive oil rub down will help with that).

-=Jasen=-

I would love to see the pics! Please take some of your location too, I am sure we would all love to see that (couldn't hurt to have a few beautiful Swiss girls in the scene too - hehe). 8)

Might I make one more suggestion here. Please make test bird before your big event. I would hate for it not to meet your expectations for the event. Most people do not do low and slow poultry as it tends to make it very dry, unless you take special precautions. Seems to be popular to cook them as hot as possible without scorching (nice olive oil rub down will help with that).

-=Jasen=-

I would love to see the pics! Please take some of your location too, I am sure we would all love to see that (couldn't hurt to have a few beautiful Swiss girls in the scene too - hehe). 8)

I did a turkey last winter in a normal oven low and slow (about 20 hours) and it was superdelicious to my taste. It had a fantastic stuffing with chestnuts, celery stalks and sausage meat. If it works in the normal oven it should also work in the KK, or not?

Of course I will put huge amounts of pictures on the web of the grill and the location!

The event I need this turkey for is actually the christening of my 3 month old son. Do you have other suggestions what meat I could do on the KK to feed 30 people?

Tobias

-=Jasen=-

I did a turkey last winter in a normal oven low and slow (about 20 hours) and it was superdelicious to my taste. It had a fantastic stuffing with chestnuts, celery stalks and sausage meat. If it works in the normal oven it should also work in the KK, or not?

Of course I will put huge amounts of pictures on the web of the grill and the location!

The event I need this turkey for is actually the christening of my 3 month old son. Do you have other suggestions what meat I could do on the KK to feed 30 people?

Tobias

There is airflow in/out of a ceramic grill where there should be none in a regular oven. I am not saying it will not turn out how you want, just might need a rehersal first.

You could surround the turkey with schweinshaxe and serve the same gravy for both. Oh man, why did I bring up my favorite dish again - Mmmmm.

Don't forget the scenery!! :wink:

-=Jasen=-

I think the shape of the bird will prove more important than the weight.

I had asked a similar question about the height from the upper grill to the roof of the OTB in the thread about upper grill suggestions. Tony replied that he sized it at about 11 inches of vertical space. (See last post on this thread: http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... 8&start=15 )

Our further discussion decided that big birds would likely need to reside on the lower grill. Maybe the meat hanger if you have one?

Unless you find a short, wide bird, you should probably plan on using the lower rack.

I think the shape of the bird will prove more important than the weight.

I had asked a similar question about the height from the upper grill to the roof of the OTB in the thread about upper grill suggestions. Tony replied that he sized it at about 11 inches of vertical space. (See last post on this thread: http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... 8&start=15 )

Our further discussion decided that big birds would likely need to reside on the lower grill. Maybe the meat hanger if you have one?

Unless you find a short, wide bird, you should probably plan on using the lower rack.

Would also depend on the orientation of the bird too though. If you laid him on his back, he might still fit on main grill. I cannot imagine there is a turkey out there that could not fit some kind of way.

-=Jasen=-

Oops, my bad.. I missed that detail. :oops:

Let me do a 180 - Iwould challenge youto find a bird that will not fit under that dome! :shock:

In the Classic fits the bigger bird then into the OTB? I always had the idea that the OTB is bigger, or does it just have the bigger grill-surface but the dome is smaller?

Oops, my bad.. I missed that detail. :oops:

Let me do a 180 - Iwould challenge youto find a bird that will not fit under that dome! :shock:

In the Classic fits the bigger bird then into the OTB? I always had the idea that the OTB is bigger, or does it just have the bigger grill-surface but the dome is smaller?

I think they are close to the same surface area, but it appears like the classic has more dome room.

-=Jasen=-