LarryR

My Steak Technique

So I think I now have a repeatable technique for the perfect KK Steak.

The last few cooks have gone like this:

* Two inch choice rib eye salted (for tenderizing) with Kosher salt for about an hour on the counter, rinse throughout. It's amazing how this process breaks down a steak. It feels like it's going to fall apart in your hands when your rinsing the salt off.

* Light basket of Frontier lump with about 6 lit Rancher briquettes, I bring her to about 300 and let her just sit there for about an hour or so. Lower grate in place.

* Drink favorite adult beverages while I'm admiring my KK.

* Crank KK up to about 650 using front wheel and back ash door and top vent about 1.5 - 2 turns open.

* Lightly spray my steaks with pam, no seasoning.

* Sear on lower grate 2 - 2.5 minutes each side, season on turn.

* Close front wheel vents and ash door, burp and open lid, remove steaks to plate, place main grate in KK and steaks on the outer most edge, season side not season on sear.

* Let steaks/KK dwell for about 5 - 6 minutes.

* Remove steaks and let them rest under loose foil 5 minutes.

I've followed this method my last four steak cooks and have consistently prepared some of the best steaks I've ever done. Super tender, perfect med-rare every time.

Re: My Steak Technique

Larry: Is it fair to say that you salt the steaks for less time than the original article recommends? I tried this last year when you first posted about it but I got distracted and left the salt on an extra twenty minutes or so. Needless to say, I ruined the steaks but I want to try again with a timer around my neck!!

Re: My Steak Technique

Loquitur: No I think I pretty much follow their guidelines. My first attempt I had one too many adult beverages though, lost track of time and it was a bit salty. Also important not to add any salt when seasoning.

MadMedik: Just my prefered lighting method. Stretches out the cook and gives me more time to drink adult beverages. That's one of the problems with a steak cook, they're too short; using this method I've been known to drag a steak cook on for 3 hours just letting her warm-up very slowly :D