slu

Costco Kobe Beef Patties

Re: Costco Kobe Beef Patties

@slu:

Thinking about getting some. Have you bought these from Costco before, and how long do you think they can be frozen at -5 degrees and remain of high quality? I would be using Ziploc freezer bags. Thanks

Yes, I have purchased them before. They are quite good. In fact, it's the only hamburger, other than what I might grind myself, that I will eat rare. They are individually vacuum sealed, and will freeze for quite some time. They are also large enough that one patty can feed two people. If you search this site, you'll find other comments on this product.

FYI, Costco has the beef patties on sale. A case of 24 (9oz each) is now $99 which includes two-day air.

Thanks for the link, Slu. My husband and I are huge fans of these burgers and I was just checking on them at the Costco website last week. They were $159.00 so this is a killer deal.

Slu, just wondering - do you reshape them or use them as they are straight from the package? I'm tempted to try them straight from the package but it seems to me that the patty might be too loose to turn. Oh, and we like them rare, too. Actually, they are our most favorite KK meal.

Susan

I don't reshape them. Somewhere I read that they tend to fall apart when you attempt a reshape. I just grill them very hot, and stick them in a ciabatta roll. They don't need much adornment since the flavor of the beef is quite wonderful. I bought them online last time for the sale price of $129, so this is a good value!

Susan

It says American Kobe beef. Anyone compare these to real kobe beef? I"ve never had the nerve to order the real stuff' date=' lol.[/quote']

I have two burgers defrosting right now. The actual package from D'Artagnan says:

Wagyu Beef

Raised Without Added Hormones or Antibiotics

All natural feed - no animal by products

No Artificial Ingredients

Minimally Processed

I've never had Kobe beef so I can't compare but these are really great burgers. All they need is a

good, hot KK sear and they come out crispy on the outside and soft and silky on the inside.

They have terrific flavor and they melt in your mouth!!

Susan

OK Slu they better be good because I just ordered a box!

Doc, I think they're very good. Just remember that this beef is better cooked on the rare side! On the outside chance that you don't like them, I'll buy you dinner next time you're in Monterey.

BTW, I cooked two this evening. Since I like mine rare, and my SO likes it well, I used the reverse sear method. I just pulled mine off the indirect heat while the other pattie was cooking through. Pulled the second one, then fired the KK to high heat, and seared both. Served on a fresh artisanal ciabatta roll. Hmm Hmm good!

Slu: As a test, I did not reshape the burgers I cooked last night except to compact them a little bit to make a rounder shape and they cooked up fine. I have been reshaping them to make them rounder and thicker and have had no problem with them falling apart. I can feel the softness and tenderness of the meat in my hands as I reshape them so I handle it very gently. I do, however, put them in the frig after reshaping for a half hour or so to let them set up.

I'm curious about your indirect technique. What is the temp and time for the rare and well done burgers prior to the sear? I will be making these for my brother soon and he will want them well done. For my husband and I, they are done after the sear. I seared the ones I did last night for 30 seconds less than normal since the out of the package burgers are thinner than the ones I reshape.

Susan

Susan, I brought the KK up to 275 for an hour prior to placing the patties in on indirect heat. I left mine in for about 15-20 minutes, and the other for about an hour. I then removed both. Configured the KK for high heat bringing the dome temp up to about 550. I seared on the lower grate for about 60 seconds per side. Mine was medium rare, and the other was well done but still moist. I use this method, or a variation of it, for most steaks and roast. In fact, I did a dry aged prime rib last weekend in a conventional oven at my Mom's house. (We were celebrating her 93rd birthday). It came out perfectly. I was rather proud in that I dry aged the meat myself! Let me know how it comes out.

Peter

A few comments about searing.

Your dome temp is only a very indirect indicator of the temperature down at the actual sear level.

To sear you just need what I refer to as "a good hot fire". The actual measured temp is not too critical. You will get a raging hot searing fire in just a few minutes by simply leaving your KK lid open. There is no need to close the lid and wait for the temp to come up. The blazing fire will come up faster with the lid open. You don't need a heat soaked KK to sear. Searing is done with the direct fire, not the radiated wall heat, with the lid open, in just a few moments.

So, when you want to do the reverse sear, take the meat off, leave the lid open, put the sear grill down there, wait a few minutes til the fire is blazing, and sear.

Doc, you are correct about the searing. I just prefer not to keep the lid open while I get the coals nice and hot. If I pull the two doors at the bottom open, and open the top hat, the coals are usually ready to sear in about 5-10 minutes.

A few comments about searing.

Your dome temp is only a very indirect indicator of the temperature down at the actual sear level.

To sear you just need what I refer to as "a good hot fire". The actual measured temp is not too critical. You will get a raging hot searing fire in just a few minutes by simply leaving your KK lid open. There is no need to close the lid and wait for the temp to come up. The blazing fire will come up faster with the lid open. You don't need a heat soaked KK to sear. Searing is done with the direct fire, not the radiated wall heat, with the lid open, in just a few moments.

So, when you want to do the reverse sear, take the meat off, leave the lid open, put the sear grill down there, wait a few minutes til the fire is blazing, and sear.

Doc:

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not but my fire doesn't get blazing hot, at least as blazing hot as I want it, without closing the lid and waiting for the Tru Tel to come up to a minimum of 400 - with higher being better. And it doesn't take long at all - about 15 minutes after a good zap with the torch. Maybe its because I'm cooking small quantities with the Weber baskets set up on a brick so that the height of the lump is the same as the height would be with a full KK basket of lump without the firepower of a full KK basket of lump. In any event, I find this technique reliable and repeatable. Two minutes a side with my reshaped thicker burgers on the lower sear grill and they are perfect. I've tried leaving the lid open but it just doesn't get that hot. I can tell just by holding my hand over the flame.

Susan

Texas is absolutely on fire this summer. The hottest July on record. We've had plenty of 100 plus days. But it's not global warming! That's the biggest crock of shit hoax ever foisted on a gullible public. I digress...

Susan, always use a full basket of lump for any cook. You may only wind up using a little of the top layer, but fill it up. For a grilling fire, I fill a charcoal chimney about half or two thirds full, shove a wad of brown paper bag in the bottom, and light it up. The partial fill gets going faster and more evenly than filling the chimney. Now dump your lit coals out on top of your basket of lump, and spread them around. Be sure you have shaken all the ash out of your basket prior to any of this. You need good airflow. Don't use briquettes as they don't burn as hot as lump. This will get a good hot fire going right quick. Open the daisy wheel fully, or even pull the door out a good way, and with the lid open you will get an inferno pronto.

Now you can use your inferno several ways.

I prefer to grill up high on the main grill, which takes a little longer, uses more fuel, but results in an evenly cooked product. And I do it with the lid closed after getting the inferno going. Once the fire is raging, I open the daisy wheel fully and close the vent door, open the top vent fully off its seat, and shut the lid. Then I cook the meat, turning it over once, to my desired finish temp with a thermometer. If you like a rare inside, cooked outside kind of deal, cook it down closer to the fire with the lid open.

And of course for a sear, put it right down on the sear grill for a minute. None of these machinations require any use of the TelTrue. Just your eyes; you can see a "good hot fire".