gblrklr

Smoking

smokin'

Smoking generally is absorbed during the "cold meat" period. Once your meat begins to heat up and the cells on the outside of the meat close, sealed by smoke/oils/etc. it will not absorb much more. Ceramics are a little different in that the amount of smoke that surrounds the meat is huge. It takes very little draft, they don't leak, so the smoke stays around the meat longer. My best suggestion is chunks not chips. The other thing you can do is make a smoke bomb device. Take a piece of stainless or cast iron pipe maybe 3", cap both ends and drill a few holes in one of the caps. Fill it full of chunks or chips and cap it. It will keep the chunks from burning up so fast and put up a slower smoke that some like.

John

Sounds like you will be cruising yard sales for a Rainbow vac. draw from one, vent to the other.

...That is where you got the idea for water filtering, right Sanny? :P

Don't know what a rainbow vac is... :?

Yeah right...you smoked one a them too I'll bet...did you inhale though? That's the presidential question :?

how about a small fan

how about a small fan on the top of the kk, where the dampler goes, either to pulll the smoke thru. i guess it would be one way to create a draw the unit. slower rpm in small fan, longer saturation period for smoke on products to be smoked. going to be lots of prototype to get this right.

chunks are the way to go, i spent this afternoon cutting mesquite trees and loading them into the pickup. much more to get cut. so i cut my wood in chunks less than a foot, and tehn if i am going to smoke, i cut them in 4 inch chunks more or less with a miter saw. easiest way to cut it to size. for me. i may experiment with a small computer fan. wont last long but will give me the cfm ratio i am looking for to draw smoke. the smoke should not be too hot. since the hot pot is away and in a sealed unit with tube to the bottom of the k unit to draw the smoke from. will be a trial and error but i would like to smoke cheese, wild hog, and deer sausage this fall. as cold as possible. to see how it goes.

Actually, although I have been around people who partake of tobacco and other similar items of a "smoked" nature (whether leaf or flower), I've never done any of it. This lil asthmatic chile has more sense than that! I wheeze when I drive behind a diesel bus, so intentionally inhaling anything would be pretty stupid!

Re: how about a small fan

how about a small fan on the top of the kk' date=' where the dampler goes, either to pulll the smoke thru. i guess it would be one way to create a draw the unit. slower rpm in small fan, longer saturation period for smoke on products to be smoked. going to be lots of prototype to get this right.[/quote'] Are you talking a water filter type of setup? Would a fan that is not close to the water supply have enough draw to pull the smoke through the water? We know that just pushing unfiltered smoke into a cold ceramic will create a flavor. Wasn't the question one of getting rid of creosote or tars? Don't think we'd want to pull the smoke OUT of the ceramic cooker, such as a fan on the damper would do. It's more to get the smoke through the water filter, and then push (?) it into the cooker.

picture the flow charty thing:

source of smoke >> water >> pulled through water/pushed into cooker.

There would not be any openings in the system except at the ends: one at the "bowl" to feed the fire/smoke source, and one at the end of the tube to exhaust the smoke into the cooker. The fan would be more or less closed in there.

The fan sucks the smoke through the water with the vacuum draw, but then the same fan exhausts the smoke through a tube into the cooker, where the smoke gets friendly with the meat/fish/tofu/veggies. The smoke will find natural exits in the cooker, such that there would be a need for more smoke to get in there and wander around for a while. Besides, more is better.

Perhaps "the contraption" could exhaust into the guru port? Or even be a replacement damper door, if you wanted a larger feed of smoke than just the relatively small guru access.

Well, there are literally hundreds of cold smokers on the market, and to my knowledge none have a water filter. I really do not think one would be necessary either. But anyway, for anyone wanting to hook up a smoke box to a ceramic grill via the guru port and using a guru for the purpose of cold smoking - here ya go! It is still experimental (threw it together - so ignore the crappy welds), but seems to work really well if you use sawdust smoke wood verses chunks. I had thought of adding a hot plate in it, but it burns pretty darn good now.

-=Jasen=-

dscn0948mediumfv1.jpg

dscn0949mediumkc7.jpg

dscn0950mediumjf2.jpg

Dude,

That looks like my new beef jerky setup...when can I pick it up :shock:.

I need 145% - 160% max.

I'll trade you my beef jerky recipe for it...keep it secret though :(

I am very curious of the max temp I can get outta this thing. Like I said, it experimental and I have not gotten to use it much - hope that will change soon - hehe. Curly, if I had another canister, I would happily build you one (minus my guru of course - hehe). I have no clue were I even ended up with that one from - call me Fred Sanford -hehe. One of the problems I had building that one is finding the proper size tube to plug into the guru port. I now have some SS shim material and I plan on rolling the proper size tube. I also placed the outlet too high on the test can and the bottom hit on one of the legs on my old K (have to wait and see on the new KK). But it is all in fun. :wink:

-=Jasen=-

Re: crappy welds?

I must have missed something. Your welds are world class compared to my old POS. My OTB is on the way :D

I really hate to point them out, but the top tube on the inside of the canister is horrible. But it is very thin SS and I was in a hurry. I did not back purge the work with argon while welding so there is tons of sugaring. But it is good enough for testing. Yeah, your right, it probably is better than any of the welding on my old grill :roll: (no names mentioned) hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Re: The other way to smoke

http://www.smokepistol.com/

Heck you can even use a water cooler and drill a hole in it. Check it out!

John

I looked at those a while back. Very cool idea and product. The one downside I saw to it was the 3 hours max smoke. For cold smoking, items can go for up to 40 hours or more, so that would get pretty expensive and aggravating changing out those sticks so often. But could be neat for a shorter smoke.

-=Jasen=-