bri134

Opening Day Babybacks

Couldnt decide what to cook for opening day kickoff, so I let the wife decide. She asked for ribs, and I found some nice babybacks at Costco. I hadn't done babybacks on the KK yet, however I'd just like to say they were by far the best I've ever done (apologies for the slightly dark pics). Rubbed and ready. fetch?id=68264 How babybacks are dun. fetch?id=68265 Used a loose 3-2-1, ended up closer to a 2.5-2-0.5. Rubbed them with a pretty basic homemade mix - seasalt, evaporated cane juice, brown sugar, and the rest of the usual pork rub players. Double-foiled with butter, brown sugar, honey and some Tiger Sauce. Pretty good stuff, recommend trying it if you get the chance. Took em off after about 2 hours and put em back on naked to set the glaze. Pure pork candy :) One rack was gone before I had a chance to snap pics of the finished product. They had a nice contrast of spicy sweet from the glaze and saltiness from the rub, meat was moist and juicy, little but of chew left to it, close to fall off the bone but not mushy at all. Nothing wrong with rubs for breakfast, right? :D

Re: Opening Day Babybacks

They look fantastic! I also just rub, cook at 200-220 for 4-5 hours with a smoke-pot that I put on the coals when I add the ribs, paint with whatever sauce I've made or bought, and then cook for another 20 minutes to set the sauce.

I've never gone the foil route either. With foil, would you wait to add the smoke-pot until the baby backs come out of the foil? Do you get a get a good smoke on the ribs when using foil?

Re: Opening Day Babybacks

That makes sense ... I had assumed foil first. I may have to try that approach just to compare. I'm lovin' the no-foil product but who's to say I might not like the foiled boyz more? :?:

Thanks

Based on my personal experience. If you like a little tooth be careful with the foil. Not suggesting you can't have tooth, just saying be careful as I've ended up with fall off the bone when using foil.