Majestik

Brining Experiments

Well, I finally got around to some brining experimentation. Results? Mixed. The first set of chops I brined in Brown Sugar, Salt, and Old Bay.... then applied a dry rub and grilled. They were delicious... juicy, tender, and kind of "ham-like"

img5987tj4.jpg

then I brined some chickens with a similar formula... grilled 'em spatchcock style:

img5990tu6.jpg

And it was juicy and delicious, like all kamado'd birds... but probably not any better than a non-brined bird... not really sure it was worth doing. (And these were "unadulterated" chickens - no broth or anything like that... still... didn't feel the brine helped).

After that I did brined chops again using the same procedure... this time they were too salty, despite the fact that I used less salt and a shorter brine time... so I don't know what that's about.

Overall? I personally don't feel the need to brine. I rather prefer the "natural" taste of meat, with just a good rub applied.

But I do thank Porkchop for his guidance on this.... I'll probably try it again someday, but for now I'm sticking with the tried and true.

Maybe I'll try spatchcocking a turkey today or something.

Nice looking food. I am with you on the brining thing; never saw a lot of difference with chicken. I like spatchcocking, season the outside and mopping with the salt/pepper/vinegar solution. Don't think I have ever brined porkchops, but I have brined brisket - didn't think it needed it.

-=Jasen=-

Maybe to see more of a result on the chicken, try an overnight brining? Also, did you boil your ingredients so they could break down in solution properly (then chill of course). You could boil a small amount and then top it up with ice to chill and get the volume to your desired level. I will have to try brining experiments again - when I get my new grill in - :? .\

On a different note, has anyone figured out the season Publix uses on there BBQ rotisserie chicken - OMG that is good! Probably just a load of salt and paprika, but it sure turns out nice. Maybe they will sell me some and I can experiment.

-=Jasen=-

Indirect...

... for the birds... and direct for the chops. I was cooking around 400F for both... Fast and hot... they came out perfect. Birds were about 75 minutes and the chops were fast... 15 minutes tops, I really didn't time it.

I must say ceramic cooking is the only way to go! :P

has anyone figured out the season Publix uses on there BBQ rotisserie chicken - OMG that is good! Probably just a load of salt and paprika, but it sure turns out nice. Maybe they will sell me some and I can experiment.

-=Jasen=-

I will see if I can find out. A neighbor up the street worked there for a while. It should be an easy recon though...sweet talk some of those little onld ladies they have working back there, they will probably come over and cook it for you!

has anyone figured out the season Publix uses on there BBQ rotisserie chicken - OMG that is good! Probably just a load of salt and paprika, but it sure turns out nice. Maybe they will sell me some and I can experiment.

-=Jasen=-

I will see if I can find out. A neighbor up the street worked there for a while. It should be an easy recon though...sweet talk some of those little onld ladies they have working back there, they will probably come over and cook it for you!

Cool, let me know the results! I don't wanna know what you had to do to get them though; little old ladies and everything. :shock:

-=Jasen=-