DennisLinkletter

KK extruded CoConut shell charcoal is Stateside

It's been a long road but my KK extruded CoConut shell charcoal is Stateside and available.. file.php?id=357&t=1file.php?id=358&t=1file.php?id=359&t=1fetch?id=68274fetch?id=68275

It is pretty much smokeless/odorless, no off smells or tastes, will bury the needle over 850º, will have 6-8% moisture and will leave only 3-4.5% ash*. Great for using a target wood for smoke as you will taste only that smoke profile. Comes in 20lb boxes - 28 - 20lb boxes/560 lbs on these palettes.. file.php?id=613&t=1 The charcoal is $1.40lb or $28 per box - Ex Warehouse Carson CA. $8 warehouse fee.. This load the palettes are free. Will be $19.95 in the future. Please send me your zip code to Email Komodo Charcoal[/email:1dqen57g] for shipping quotes Will ship any volume, over 300lbs is where the price break is. Purchase a KK and get discounted charcoal with your grill ;) ;) *3-4% ash from dried weight with unburned nuggets removed.

Re: KK extruded CoConut shell charcoal is Stateside

Folks, I've been chatting with Dennis over the last couple of years and I've been privy to the extraordinary efforts that Dennis has put into bringing this charcoal to market. You should all order some charcoal just to thank Dennis for his energy and persistence, lol! My review may be delayed by a little knee surgery coming up, but I assure you, I will hop (bad choice of words, perhaps?) right on it as soon as I am able.

• Like 1

Looks awesome, Dennis. I can't wait to get some. This is obviously a dense product. The length of the pieces is an indication of the density, I believe. If these were simply pressed briquettes, the length of the pieces would cause them to break and be otherwise marred. These pieces are dense and hard, or I miss my guess.

Dennis will correct me if I'm wrong (as he is the new king of the extruded coconut charcoal) but I don't think the length of the pieces is an indication of the density. It is a reflection of the length desired by the maker. Looks like Dennis chose that length so they will fit in the box with a minimum of handling/sorting/fitting/stacking effort. I believe the maker can cut the pieces to pretty much any length they desire as they exit the extruder. Dennis?

You are right, Whiz, so long as we are talking about extruded charcoal. But I gained the impression that some of the coco charcoal out there is not extruded, being only pressed into a briquette. These briquettes are soft and lack the density and structural integrity of the extruded charcoals. You guys are the experts though. I am ready to stand corrected if need be.

Ok. Talking specifically about extruded charcoals, I remember reading, in your review section Whiz, that one of the charcoals put out by a certain kamado company was softer than a previous offering by the same company. I understood that softness to be indicative of a less dense piece of extruded, and assumed that the lower density would render it more friable and therefore subject to breakage. Since I was misunderstood in my earlier post, I am attempting to demonstrate the thinking process that led to my earlier statement about the longer length of Dennis' charcoal indicating it is dense. If my premise is true, then it stands to reason that the practical length of a piece of extruded is limited, at least in part, by the friability of the product. (less dense= more friable; more dense= less friable- right?) Dennis' product is long, yet unbroken in the box, ergo it is dense.

The density of extruded charcoal is determined by many factors but mostly the moisture content of the material w/starch, the design of the screw and the length/design of the nozzle.

If it's too wet, it slides out too easily because there is no friction to compress it. This is why earlier charcoal from "other companies" was not straight and looked like it was soft ice cream before it dried.. Too wet.

If too dry, it creates too much friction, gets hot, vaporizes the water and the material turns rock hard in the nozzle and binds up. The mixture of very fines to chunks comes into play here also as does how aggressive the pitch on the extruder's screw.. The friction eats the screw so it continually needs to be built up with special electrodes and a 500 amp arc welder to keep the distance between the screw and wall uniform.. We have pretty much thrown away everything we bought originally..

There was a much steeper learning curve than I imagined to produce what I wanted.

And yes, the length of the pieces is determined by when the operator chops it off.. The longer pieces are easier to handle as there are less of them to the 20lb box. If you smash them into each other they will snap off cleanly into smaller pieces without creating any smalls..

;);)

<<< New user and just got grill set up. How much CoConut shell charcoal should be used and how whould it be stacked in the basket? I understand if it is put to close together it will obstruct the air flow.

Rex

Rex

There are two things you want to avoid..

One is having all the airflow cut off the other is leaving areas on the floor of the charcoal basket open.. The air of course takes the path of least resistance and does not go thru your charcoal..

So for the too much I'd say just don't set them side by side like a log cabin..

Too little maybe leave some lump under the coco so the airflow coming thru is uniform.

;);)

So what is the best way to light the CoCO charcoal? I have always used a weed burner. Does this work as well with the CoCo as with lump?

Also, I read that some people mix lump and CoCo. Why would I want to do that? I have used Cowboy charcoal for years (when It was made of scrap lumber) and was very happy, but now all the lump (and I have tried about ten diferent brands) contains VERY LARGE pieces of natural wood that are hard to light. The large lump works OK for longer cooks but I have a very hard time getting it really hot for short cooks.