EHKK

Coals take how Long???

Re: Coals take how Long???

Once I cut off air to the KK how long until coals burn out? Any general guidance appreciated! :)

The grill is airtight with the latch in the second position. The coals will stop burning when the available oxygen has been burned up. With a low and slow cook that will take minutes, with a raging bowl pretty much right away. But the grill will stay hot for hours and hours and will reignite if you open the grill and give it more oxygen.

But you can photograph a raging bowl, shut it down and the next day you will see all the charcoal is there.

;);)

I starved a hot fire in my Kamado one time and opened it and it flashed big time. Burned my hand pretty bad. Now I use a welding glove under similar conditions.

I viewed some YouTube videos where they purposely created these conditions and I'm surprised my burns weren't worse!

A small dose of common sense is all it takes.......

Here is a link:

I starved a hot fire in my Kamado one time and opened it and it flashed big time. Burned my hand pretty bad. Now I use a welding glove under similar conditions.

What I meant was the chance of a someone else/a stranger to the grill walking up and opening it while it happens to be in this ignition/flashback stage is not going to be a common occurrence.

Flashbacks are a VERY REAL danger but because you do not have to lift your lid with a KK.. you can open the lid with your arm full extended and give it a few bounces.. this will dilute the gas that's built up inside to the point where no flash occurs.. I bounce the lid every time I shut it down and re-open over 400º

;);)