waldo

Temperature Probes

Re: Temperature Probes

The wireless feature is super cool because you don't have to be at the grill to know what the temps are. But it seems like the manufacturers haven't worked the kinks out yet, at least for the dual probe models. Doc and I had the probes of our ET 732s short out after a couple of uses and there are several Amazon reviews citing the same problem but tcoliver has had better luck.

Susan

Thermapens, and marathon "stalls"

I've given up on the category. Junk with poor range.

Nothing beats a Thermapen.

When I ran marathons, I had to learn that it was ok to stop. It may have seemed like I was turning to salt, but stopping wouldn't have completed the process. One stops, one starts again, no big deal. I was also losing so much water that I seemed to be running backwards for a while at the 17 mile mark, but stopping wasn't the culprit. (One sees people running in foil, which may help. One best avoids this "stall" by running very quickly.)

It's also ok to open the KK lid during any cook. When I was first learning brisket I found articles where the authors basically set up a police perimeter around their cookers. Nice show of dedication, but not much of an effect either way on the food.

Part of judging progress is deciding where to jab with the Thermapen, and feeling how the meat resists a bit of movement of the probe. These are dimensions one loses with automation. Doneness isn't a function of temperature alone.

I had a dual Maverick back when this model was called the ET7. It was

an expensive POS back then. Crappy range,it CHEWED up batteries,

probes were flimsy,the whole thing had a lifespan <6months.

Mav has obviously not improved the quality(?) on many successive iterations.

That's really lame/bad.

I'm currently using Taylor remotes (the cheapest model available) and

they have done swimmingly for about 3 years now. These units allow

you to toggle between different frequencies so you can run 2 or 3 units

simultaneo.

dub(but Santa DOES still need to bring me a Thermapen)

I also have the older ET7 Maverick model and it has worked like a charm. No issues with the display or probes. I normally use it for dome temp on low and slow cooks so this is less demanding on the probes. When the new KK comes it will get a workout so will be lurking here for a replacement so I'm ready when it isn't.