Syzygies

The "Thermapen" of kitchen digital scales?

Hi. Our most recent digital scale died, and luckily we saved earlier editions that still limped along. But we were astonished to realize how dependent we've become on digital scales. For example my sourdough bread recipe is a spreadsheet, enter hydration percentage, freshly-ground flour percentage, that sort of thing and it gives the blow-by-blow directions to the gram. American cookbooks are written for cave people, luckily for many kinds of cooking it simply doesn't matter.

So what's the "Thermapen" of digital scales? Is there one?

Please don't tell me your favorite $20 scale. Not be rude, but we're hard on scales and we've moved on. At this point I'd rather hear from the folks who roll their eyes that I don't have a chamber vacuum sealer yet. :roll:

If you're reading this and don't own a Thermapen, just get one. Most of us here have one. Trust me on this one, the difference is night and day.

Thermapen

Re: The "Thermapen" of kitchen digital scales?

I infer from the silence that everyone else's experience is the same: Digital kitchen scales are cheap disposable crap. Alas.

On Chowhound people like My Weigh scales, with some people having two at different resolution and max weights. Even this one has quality control issues; most are too big to tuck away in the kitchen:

My Weigh scale

This is a hard category to research because of all the Amazon "associate" link sluts out there. They haven't even tried the scales.

I've been using the Soehnle "Futura" for general purpose kitchen use and an AWS-100 to measure small amounts of yeast. The problem is that the Soehnle can't measure accurately below 2 grams and anything over 2 kilos.

We use the " My Weigh KD 8000 Digital Weighing Scale" You can find it on Amazon. It's the thermapen of kitchen scales... It even has a percentage calculator so you add the flour hit % and then weigh ingredients based on percent to flour.

We love it !!!!

Tony

Thanks for the suggestions! We ordered the My Weigh Uber Aluminum linked in Dave's post and it is in the box to go back - the display is off center and on/off function is too light (it came on when I touched something else in the cupboard where the scale lives).

It didn't help that Honey barked every time it came on.