fcnich

bbq guru

Hello Dennis or anyone,

I am looking at a bbq guru for my kk, first question to Dennis, their website says contact you for information about the adaptor. I have a 2007 Supreme, that has a black plug where Guru connects. Do i need and adaptor or no and also the correct way to remove the plug. If anyone has a bbq guru for their KK i would apprecitate some feedback as to which controler etc. Thanks to all as usual!

Re: bbq guru

There's a school that doesn't believe in controllers, and one can plausibly argue the KK doesn't need one. There's a school that hates being pinned to their cooker at a competition, so they want a remote with a quarter mile range and a bottle opener.

In between, there are those of us who want to set the temperature of the cooker, nothing more. What do you ask of your indoor oven? Most of us can only set the temperature, the oven doesn't text us when the bread reaches 200 F. In our case, we multi-task like crazy, so I just want to be able to start a fire, put some food into the cooker, then leave to do some errands, or get caught up in yard work and forget about the fire. With another twenty minutes and experience, I could set the fire temperature as accurately by hand. With a Guru, I don't have to wait around those twenty minutes.

There, one could say I've just made the argument against a controller. The KK is very stable, and I more or less believe this argument. However, a fire is an inherently unstable equilibrium, in the technical sense that leads to a passing or failing grade on a differential equations midterm. If the fire gets hotter, there's more airflow. With more airflow, the fire gets hotter. The KK is so stable and well-insulated that this drift takes place very slowly, but it's there, and one does want to check an unregulated KK every now and then. Perhaps including getting up in the night, if food for 40 people is at stake. I don't like alarm clocks. Most of modern life depends on various forms of "feedback". Why shouldn't my cooker also be equipped with feedback?

Nothing beats instinct, a careful eye, and a Thermapen for checking the food temperature. Like stopping in a marathon, it's actually ok to open to cooker, to look at the food. The cooker will recover, quickly. As cool as it might be to have the food temperature show up on your computer screen (and what exactly are you doing indoors on a nice day, anyways? :roll: ), it's not as accurate because you didn't just decide where to jab the probe, and you already know what it's going to say.

That said, my favorite controller is no longer made. It's the one that put an oven dial on your cooker, nothing more: the BBQ Pitminder E-Temp. I actually owned a fancier model and gave it away. Forced to replace this, I'd buy the NanoQ. It lacks a display and a dial to twist; it defaults to 225 F and one steps up and down five degrees at a time using the buttons. To address concerns about no display, they advise looking at your analog thermometer and adjusting accordingly. In fact, I worry about probe position (near the meat but not too close) and ignore all instrumentation; I have a theory about what temperature I want the controller to maintain, and it's usually a few bumps one side or the other of 225 F. So this would work. I wish that there was a digital display showing the current temperature that the Guru NanoQ probe sees. I could care less what a different probe sees, I want to understand my controller's thinking. I figure this out roughly with the Pitminder by giving the dial a twist and seeing when the fan kicks on. That helps in problem-solving a fire that has gotten too hot.

With Guru products and the extremely well-insulated KK, one needs to be sure the airflow with the fan off won't cause a runaway or hotter than desired fire. This isn't hard but one can still miss, as I did the first time using the new KK charcoal. The Stoker apparently can stop the airflow entirely, which some see as an advantage. But do you really need to be worrying about your cooker's IP address? (I'm capable of sorting out very intricate networking problems, but here I just don't see the point!)

Hello Dennis or anyone,

I am looking at a bbq guru for my kk, first question to Dennis, their website says contact you for information about the adaptor. I have a 2007 Supreme, that has a black plug where Guru connects. Do i need and adaptor or no and also the correct way to remove the plug. If anyone has a bbq guru for their KK i would apprecitate some feedback as to which controler etc. Thanks to all as usual!

You will need the Guru short inducer tube/adapter.. You will be able to firmly tap it into the CNC cut hole in your KK's faceplate. The plug is the very porous vermiculite based insulation.. break it up knocking into the grill.

Whiz, Syz and Dennis, thank you so much for your input. I am considering this because of the last time i offered pulled pork to the staff, i had to come up with 27lbs of it! It took a couple cooks to do it all, so maybe a guru would make my time management a bit easier. My KK has a bit of a leak of the left side, so from the start the temp tends to go up slowly. It will stay consistent for quite a while. I have made a "farmer repair" like my dad used to say, using 3 lenghts of butcher twine twisted together and just lay it in the seam between the top and body. Anyway thank you all again!