lee grabowski

Charcoal basket experiment

fetch?id=68369fetch?id=68370fetch?id=68371

After my last 6 hour 180 degree F. Salmon smoke I could see that it does not use much lump charcoal during this type of cook, so I found an old grilling pan that I no longer use and cut it to fit on top of the charcoal basket. I loaded 2-3" of lump on top of it and used it, I had plenty of charcoal throughout the smoke. My KK is the 19.5" also. Lee G

Re: Charcoal basket experiment

Lee: the charcoal in a pan didn't upset the draft to the point it was difficult keeping the charcoal lit?

Firemonkey: I'm still 'resisting', despite advice from experience :shock: , filling the fire pit every time. Last night I grilled perfect chicken legs on the top grill, with a clear space down to the fire pit which I only had 3/4 of a Webber chimney fill of charcoal in, which just covered the bottom of the pit. I kept the bottom of damper open and opened, for the periods lid was down, the top damper open to the extent you could see a couple millimetres of clear air under the screw. It kept a great high heat, coals red/white hot the whole time, and when I dampened right off I note I still have half the coals left this morning.

Firemonkey,

I did not have trouble maintaining the low cooking temp.(180-200 deg. F.) for 6 hours with a full basket of lump, but so little of the lump was used I knew that less could be used for a low temp. cook so I made this to try.

I have not tried it on a hot cook yet, but thought it would work great for searing steaks.

There was enough air flow and I had no trouble keeping the fire going on the low temp. cook.

Lee G.

Last night I grilled perfect chicken legs on the top grill' date=' with a clear space down to the fire pit which I only had 3/4 of a Webber chimney fill of charcoal in, which just covered the bottom of the pit. I kept the bottom of damper open and opened, for the periods lid was down, the top damper open to the extent you could see a couple millimetres of clear air under the screw. It kept a great high heat, coals red/white hot the whole time, and when I dampened right off I note I still have half the coals left this morning.[/quote']

Can you tell me what dome temperature you achieved and for what duration?

Thanks

Martin

Can you tell me what dome temperature you achieved and for what duration?

Thanks

Martin

Martin, about 200 Celsius for the half hour needed to cook the chicken legs, then I shut it all down as soon as I took them off. I had lid up a lot testing the legs' temperature with a meat probe. I imagine I would have got another half hour heat at that level out of them. For chicken legs, it was all that was needed, plus, it was quick to set up and get going: I had the legs on cooking within 20 minutes of lighting the chimney.