cruzmisl

BBQ guru or Stoker

I think both products are good products. I sum up the difference between the two (for most users) is that the BBQ Guru is simpler to use, but the Stoker allows more flexibility/expandibility. If you are a geek, then the Stoker also allows remote monitoring wirelessly. If you had a need to monitor 2 or more cookers or wanted to monitor 2 or more pieces of meat, then you might want to change to a Stoker. But since you own a Guru, I wouldn't change unless you had some specific need.

then the Stoker also allows remote monitoring wirelessly.

I am curious about that statement? I have not seen that feature on the Stoker (unless you have a home network wireless router, tie in a wireless network adapter to it and have to monitor it from a computer). But the Guru ProCom allows wireless remote monitoring and control built in. So if you compare pricing on the two, you should add in the cost of the wireless network (and mention the Guru controls along with monitoring). I can see the network monitoring being neat, but only thing that grants you over the ProCom remote is range (and if you cannot control it, what has that bought you?).

I am partial to the Guru. It can mount right on the fan box and stay tucked neatly out of the way (it also looks more refined in it's appearance and less industrial - yet still uses industrial quality components). While the stoker seems to offer expandability, the four probes I have on mine Guru cover anything I ever do. I think the ProCom Guru has more control features: ramp mode (fully adjustable), offset, out of temp range alarms (adjustable), proportional band, timer cutoff or alarm and meat done alarm.

-=Jasen=-

Oh yeah, I realize you were not making a comparison of the ProCom to the Stoker, but I just think by the time you add everything in the get the two on equal grounds, you would be close to the price of a ProCom. But I still think for the average non competition user, the Guru (any model) would still be my choice.

Well, you can buy used wireless equipment pretty cheap. Considering a ProCom4 costs about 600 and the Stoker costs about $225, you have $375 to work with. Of course, the ProCom 4 only works wireless with the little handheld pendant that comes with it. The Stoker can be connected to your PC and controlled via a web page. Seems to me like you could get a wireless router for around $70 and a WAP used for $20.

Well' date=' you can buy used wireless equipment pretty cheap. Considering a ProCom4 costs about 600 and the Stoker costs about $225, you have $375 to work with. Of course, the ProCom 4 only works wireless with the little handheld pendant that comes with it. The Stoker can be connected to your PC and controlled via a web page. Seems to me like you could get a wireless router for around $70 and a WAP used for $20.[/quote']

Man, send me a link for those prices, I been looking around trying to get into wireless networking for xbox and xbox 360 (I use them to stream moveis and tv shows) and I could not seem to ever break the $175 to $250 mark.

Also, that Stoker price is for the two probe - it is $275 for the 4 probe - so a little closer.

But still, the Stoker cannot be controlled via web, only monitored. So I will take the wireless pendant. Now what would really be cool is if Fred put a USB interface on the pendant so it could be reprogrammed or hooked up to the web - now that would be the ultimate!! Hmm, I might have to go make that suggestion!

-=Jasen=-

I remember years ago seeing a K on a webcam. It had a battery (or electric or whatever) screwdriver attached to the bottom draft somehow and the guy could control opening and closing the draft door at work. Can't remember if he did anything with the top or not and not sure if he knew the temp other than a cam pointing at the thermometer.

He, that was high tech back then :D

Nope, the Stoker can be CONTROLLED from a web page too. You can set all the variables like lo and hi temps, target temp, which blower goes with which probe, etc. Trust me.....

CompUSA has a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, 802.11g,b for $70. I think this is what I'm using. I bought a used WAP for $20 off of eBay. I haven't figured out how to use the WAP to make the Stoker wireless yet. Other priorities interfere. I know, lame.....

Nope, the Stoker can be CONTROLLED from a web page too. You can set all the variables like lo and hi temps, target temp, which blower goes with which probe, etc. Trust me.....

CompUSA has a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, 802.11g,b for $70. I think this is what I'm using. I bought a used WAP for $20 off of eBay. I haven't figured out how to use the WAP to make the Stoker wireless yet. Other priorities interfere. I know, lame.....

Ok cool, I did not see anything about it being controllable - but I will take your word for it - hehehe. Though I am still partitial to the Guru - hehe!

-=Jasen=-

Dont overpay...

wireless router - linksys WRT54G...$39.99 w/ free shipping. (this model is on the xbox compatability list, too)

http://shop2.outpost.com/ShopCartServle ... se=3519514

Its outpost.com, so if you order by midnight EST, and pay the VERY reasonable overnight shipping, you get it the next day (usuallly before lunch). I have ordered stuff at 11:30 PM, and had it at my door by 930 the next morning.

The shipping is cheap...I just ordered a new 300GB HD for my tivo. Overnight was $12.

I have seen bundles with the router and a PCMCIA card for about $60 in the best buy or Circuit city adds, too. The most expensive piece will be the wireless bridge (or game adapter) since the guru only has an e-net port. You could just go ahead and pull some cable to your xbox and out to your patio, too.

Real Geeks wire their house. :D (I have multiple runs to every room, as well as the sunroom out back. My geek quotient must be off the scale) Its faster, and more reliable, too.

Re: Dont overpay...

wireless router - linksys WRT54G...$39.99 w/ free shipping. (this model is on the xbox compatability list, too)

http://shop2.outpost.com/ShopCartServle ... se=3519514

Its outpost.com, so if you order by midnight EST, and pay the VERY reasonable overnight shipping, you get it the next day (usuallly before lunch). I have ordered stuff at 11:30 PM, and had it at my door by 930 the next morning.

The shipping is cheap...I just ordered a new 300GB HD for my tivo. Overnight was $12.

I have seen bundles with the router and a PCMCIA card for about $60 in the best buy or Circuit city adds, too. The most expensive piece will be the wireless bridge (or game adapter) since the guru only has an e-net port. You could just go ahead and pull some cable to your xbox and out to your patio, too.

Real Geeks wire their house. :D (I have multiple runs to every room, as well as the sunroom out back. My geek quotient must be off the scale) Its faster, and more reliable, too.

My system is wired now - just like to cut down on the wire clutter as it is not in wall. Streaming all my TV shows downloaded off newsgroups to my modded xbox running Xbox Media Player so I can view them on the bigscreen at 1080i (yup a $150 Xbox does scaling hehe) - that might be a bit geeky. But I weld, so that counter acts it. :wink:

-=Jasen=-