EGGARY

Your other Grill(s)

I will be getting my KK next week hopefully before we go to Chicago next week. I was able to sell my Large BGE and still have the XL BGE. I also have a Charcoal Grill with the a Handle to crank the Charcoal up and down that I bought at Barbeques Galore. (That one was a big mistake on my part). So now I will have a Komodo Kamado, the XL BGE, and the "Mistake". I also have a Fire Magic Gas Grill as well. So the only the grill that was being used is the XL BGE for the most part.

So my question is do any of your other Grills get used ? Just curious.

Thanks. Enjoy a happy Grilling Week end.

Gary

Re: Your other Grill(s)

I still use my big Weber Stainless Gasser for three purposes:

1. It gets 700F+ in about 6 minutes when cranked full blast. If you search on 'reverse sear' in the forum, you will see a debatable technique that flys in the face of searing first. I've come to like this technique, so I will use the KK to get the flavor, and then I will sear with the gasser....much faster than removing the meat and letting the KK come up to temp. No impact on flavor, and I still get the fancy dancy criss cross sear marks that stroke my ego.

2. If I'm doing a low and slow (and as I type this I've got beef and pork ribs on at about 190F), I often use the gasser for side items such as corn on the cob, asparagus, whatever else isn't suited for the low temp of the KK.

3. Frying - most often chicken wings. The side burner works great, and it keeps the smell and mess out of the kitchen, which keeps the wife happy. I use a BW3 copycat recipe because I am not able to get traditional 'Buffalo" wings here in Singapore....although we recently got a Chilis and theirs are acceptable, but I stilll prefer my own.

I also used to use the side burner similar to Slu...to ignite lump in a chimney, just fill the chimney, set it right on the side burner, let er' rip....but once I was able to source a MAAP torch her in Singapore, I don't need to do that anymore. I can get a fire going in the KK pretty quick without a chimney now.

I definitely sill have a use for the gasser, but I'd also like to have a second KK to give me even more options....which brings me to waiting for my wife to have enough wine one evening to get her to understand why that makes so much sense....but with a 6 month old and breast feeding, that day is perhaps further off than I'd like...

Cookie

My Weber Genesis gasser gets used on a fairly regular basis when I need to do something quick on a week night like chicken or veggies. My Weber One Touch Gold gets used maybe once a month. My Weber Stainless Performer sits in the garage, I've only used her once in 2 years and my WSM Smoker gets a little action from time to time. Similar to Cookie I'll use one of the other grills for some corn or veggies while the KK is chugging along on a low and slow cook. KK gets the majority of my love.

How do you cook corn and asparagus? In foil?

I've put corn cobs on, without their natural wrap, but they became really dry.

Cook your corn with the husk on. The char will impart a wonderful aroma to the kernels, and it will remain very moist. Baste the asparagus with olive oil and grill over high heat. The asparagus will be be done in 8 to 10 minutes. The corn should be tender in 15-20 minutes.

I cook my corn with husk on, but generally for an hour or more. Never dries out. Melt a big wad of butter and mix in some garlic powder, paprika, and fresh craked pepper. Take the corn kernels off the cob and drench with the herby butter. Oh baby that's good.

The only corn on the cob I can get here is already out of the husk, unfortunately. However, I just melt some butter, lather it on, salt generously, and then cook directly on the gasser (if using the KK for low and slow) over medium heat. You might get a little char here or there, but I like that, and it gives it a better flavor profile (IMHO). One thing to note, it only takes about 8 minutes to cook, so if you are getting a dry result, perhaps you may be cooking it for too long?

For the asparagus, I coat in olive oil and sprinkle generously with sea salt... Asparagus cooks even quicker....I like it hot throughout and still a little crisp / crunchy....only takes about 3 minutes on a hot BBQ.

One thing to note' date=' it only takes about 8 minutes to cook, so if you are getting a dry result, perhaps you may be cooking it for too long?[/quote']

Yeah. I do tend to associate BBQing with an alcoholic beverage or three, so cooking times can sometimes get absent-mindedly extended.

The only corn on the cob I can get here is already out of the husk' date=' unfortunately. [/quote']

For what it's worth....

When I make tamales I use papers I get from the meat departments instead of corn shucks.

They are sold by the package. (same paper they use in the bottom of the meat packages but not plastic)

Works for shucks on tamales - might work for shucks on corn.

Speaking of asparagus' date=' the first spears of locally grown are just hitting the markets here. And when the local Monterey Bay salmon arrive, it's a dinner made in heaven![/quote']

Asparagus is an easy grow if one follows direction found on the web. I started mine two years ago.

(start 2-3 times the amount you think you want)

The beds are good for 20 plus years so put them in the right place.

The only corn on the cob I can get here is already out of the husk' date=' unfortunately. [/quote']

For what it's worth....

When I make tamales I use papers I get from the meat departments instead of corn shucks.

They are sold by the package. (same paper they use in the bottom of the meat packages but not plastic)

Works for shucks on tamales - might work for shucks on corn.

I'll see If I can find some...thanks.