EGGARY

Best Way to Start Extruded Coconut Charcoal ?

Re: Best Way to Start Extruded Coconut Charcoal ?

ECC leans in the direction of fabled Japanese Binchotan charcoal. From The Japanese Grill: From Classic Yakitori to Steak, Seafood, and Vegetables (A great BBQ book, by the way.):

Because it's so hard, lighting binchotan is tough; you have to place it over a live fire to ignite it.

That also works for EEC, but so do lots of methods. My favorite is a propane weed burner. The little screw-on camping canister lasts a long time this way. A MAPP gas canister burns hotter, for the impatient.

Re: Best Way to Start Extruded Coconut Charcoal ?

I have about 40 pounds of Kingsford Competition to use up - so I use a chimney starter with two layers of Kingsford and then dump it on the ECC in the KK. Has no problem lighting the ECC and bringing the grill up to temperature.

Takes 20 minutes - tops.

I find it hard to get the ECC lit in my chimney starter. Live in a pretty windy area. Wondering if I should break the ECC bricks in half and if that might make it easier? I see folks referencing Kingsford above.  What's the best way?  Some Kingsford underneath the ECC in a chimney or just Kingsford in the chimney and then pour them onto the ECC placed in the basket?

Thanks in advance.

What's best is what works, and is convenient for you.

Personally, I mound up whatever lump is left in the charcoal basket, and light it with a torch. Then add extruded on top of that. Works great.

I think the addition of some lump, either in your chimney or in the basket like I described is the way to go. The lump lights easily, and burns plenty hot enough to ignite the rest if the extruded.

I prefer not to break up the extruded any more than necessary, so I can save the leftover after the cook. I expect that breaking the extruded will cause you to lose more to crumble after it has been burned, but I can't say I've tested this theory.