AcesOverEights

On the Fence...Need Advice!

Hi all, I have been on the fence for over 2 yrs on whether I should take the leap and get a KK. I currently own a Weber Genesis, Weber Gold Charcoal and a WSM Smoker. Though my wife would be happy to get rid of the 2 charcoal cookers, the cost of the KK is still a bit much to swallow!! All you owners out there, is it worth it? Is it convenient enough to fire up and use for a quick meal on a weekday or do you use it more for slow and low cooks? I'm just trying to justify in my head the cost, so I can join the KK club! haha. Any advice?

Thanks for the help!

Re: On the Fence...Need Advice!

I use it for low and slow and an a steak sear and dwell from time to time, Plan to use it for pizza.All I can say is that I would do it again.

Cost and value are two different things. There is plenty of championship barbeque that is cooked on setups a lot cheaper as well as a lot more expensive.. BUT you wont find another one that looks as good as this one. If you want a piece of art that can grill and Q.. Then for me.. There is the value

P.S. It does not take any longer to get charcoal up to temperature in the KK than any other grill short of a Gas grill

If you use a chimney, you can get a roaring fire in about 15 min

Yep, I second Michael and rorkin. Plus I use mine four to six nights a week. I'm lucky though, because I work from home, but I often go out and simply place the charcoal still in the pit from a previous burn, into a charcoal chimney, two pieces of newspaper under it, light it, shut the lid with it in the pit about 5.30pm, then go back to work. Without fail 20 minutes later the charcoal is going, I tip it into the pit, shut the lid with top and bottom dampeners wide open. I stop work at 6.00pm,, watch the first five minutes of headlines news on the networks, pause the news on MySky, grab a glass of wine, or beer on a hot day, by which time I have enough heat to sear some steaks, or whatever on an open KK. I find it works really well. Back to news and tea.

I use mine on average 2-3 times during the week cooking fish, burgers, sausages, chicken parts and do my larger cooks like shoulder, brisket, lamb, whole chicken, turkey on the weekends.

I am able to get the fire up to cook temps within 25 minutes during by just re-lighting the coals in the basket with a berz-o-matic weed lighter (purchased at Lowes / Home Depot, referenced on this site).

If the basket is low, it takes a few minutes to reload.

It will not win a drag race with a gasser, BUT.. the KK is far superior in turning out flavor and perfect done-ness.

I would add by subtraction, dump 2 webers and add 1 KomodoKamado and watch the lone weber left rust away, you'll hardly ever use it again.

I know what I am talking about,I got rid of my gasser within 1 week of getting my first KK, then added a second KK about a year later.

What do you think we are going to say?

Get One!

I have not seen one post where someone had buyers remorse about the price. You won't.

I second Doc's motion. I am a public servant twice over. I am a pastor and a teacher. I dare say that the average user of this forum spent a good deal smaller percentage of his/her annual disposable income than I spent when I purchased my Mable. Yet, even I have not given the cost of my KK a second thought. Just taste the product. Taste the product and have your significant other to taste it. Oh, did I mention this- TASTE THE PRODUCT. Taste the food that the KK is capable of producing. You will kick yourself for the two years of unbelievably savory and succulent meals that you have denied yourself by your procrastination. Plus, you will be able to eat better tasting food than virtually any restaurant in which you have dined. Just the money that you save from dining at home will recoup the KK price in a few years! If you regret your purchase, you will be the first instance of KK buyer remorse that I am aware of, also. What does Nike Corp say? JUST DO IT!!! :D

Aces,

I also sat on the fence for over a year. Just finished my third cook of the KK and must say my only regret was that I waited so long! Once you've tried one you wont go back. I also use a propane weed burner to start my lump, can be cooking in 30 min. or so. The rubberneckin from the neighbors is most enjoyable also!

Jump in you wont regret it :)

Bob

Perhaps I will touch on something I think the KK provides that others have not... Conversation. Yes, the food is unmatched. Yes, the appearance is unmatched. Throw a dinner party / cookout / whatever you want to call it, and do not go out of your way to draw attention to your KK. I guarantee you within 2 minutes of your first guest arriving, provided there is line of sight, the KK will be part of the discussion. By the time your 10th guest arrives, there will be a group huddled around the KK while you speak prolific about extruded charcoals and exotic smoking woods.

My wife and I like to entertain - a lot, as in once or twice a week for sizeable groups. Frequently we have guests that have never met, and the KK provides a perfect "ice breaker" for a party. It is a people magnet, and it gets the conversation going, often without me (the host) even having to be present....sometimes it is fun to stand back and listen to people guess / debate about what the KK is / can do...

A dinner theme that we've had a lot of fun with recently is "make your own pizza night." We make several batches of dough and provide cheese and basic pizza sauce. Guests are required to bring their own favorite toppings. We then use a couple of long, hard plastic, folding tables (sourced at any Sam's / Costco), to setup "pizza stations." Guests have press / roll out their own dough and build their own pizzas. I then assist them with placing it in the KK and 3 minutes later, they have created their own masterpiece. We take pictures, post them on their facebook pages,..."Pizza Ed", "Pizza Rachel", "Pizza Stuart" etc. It is always a hit.

We are foodies, take cooking lessons when we travel, and we like to bring home what we've learned and share it with our friends and family. The KK plays a big role in that process, in several different ways. You can't put a price tag on good memories.

Absolutely the best purchase I have made for my enjoyment, if you like to bbq and want the best look no further. My wife also had some doubts but now wants the new 32" kk !! I do a bit of catering for friends and coworkers, they all ask how I do it, i just say its not me!! I make pulled pork and sell as much as I make. Take the plunge dude, you wont regret it, neither will your kids and grandkids.

I generally have a raging fire going in less than ten minutes, using a charcoal chimney and Royal Oak lump. So from my perspective as far as time goes, a gasser is no faster. I fill the chimney half full and as soon as it is going, usually 7 or 8 minutes, I dump it out on a bed of lump in the basket. The meat goes on immediately. For grilling, not low and slow!

Here's a tidbit that no one has mentioned: During the winter cooks in front of the store I like to lean my back into the wall of the KK. Man I'm telling you there was never a better heating pad that,smells great,looks great and covers your entire backside! Try doing that with a Weber or gas grill and you'll be on fire!

Here's a tidbit that no one has mentioned: During the winter cooks in front of the store I like to lean my back into the wall of the KK. Man I'm telling you there was never a better heating pad that' date='smells great,looks great and covers your entire backside! Try doing that with a Weber or gas grill and you'll be on fire![/quote']

If you are using the roti, you even get a massage!

You want to know the fastest way to get the wife over the objection? Take her to see one in person! You didn't post your location, but I would bet you could find a KK owner within an hour drive of you that wouldn't mind letting you check one out and even give it a spin if you want. The worst that can happen is you'll get a great meal and meet some nice people.

I used to have a grill fleet too. Gave away a posk, still have a weber that is just used for storage (it's full of kindling for my firepit) and I use my KK several nights a week- from simple dogs and brats to a full BBQ feast. I'm near Orlando, you can stop by for a real "magical moment" if your ever in the 'hood.

KK owners are extremely happy with the technical side of KK - the quality of the unit, the range of different uses, the over the whole cooking experience with the Kamado and the fact that they last FOREVER and a day. This is the obvious reason you want to purchase one of these awesome creatures. They ARE definitely worth the cost.

One small detail that most people forget to mention is that YOU choose what tiles to cover it with. Let your wife choose the tiles and design. Let her have a part in the KK you will both own. Having her invest in the KK and being involved in the choosing of the KK from the start should help her across the line. I guess it is a bit like choosing a house. You choose a house for the location, bedrooms, bathrooms etc etc but at the end of the day your wife chooses what colour goes where and how everything looks. It doesn't matter how much you SAY you chose those colours, we know who really made the decision......

Good luck and we look forward to hearing your stories