DennisLinkletter

FYI I'm on the Road and in the Sky..

Murphy attacks again...

Woke up Thursday morning in Los Angeles at the grandparents house only to read about the UK terorist arrests...

I was supposed to fly that day to San Fransisco to stay with my momma in Palo Alto. Local news shots showed the National Guard that was deployed by Gov Arnold and lines into the street. When told to go to the airport 3 hours before the flight, I decided to pass... Standing that long in line with a baby and child to maybe catch an one hour flight was not my idea of a good time.

I tossed the tickets and rented a big new Ford SUV and drove.. Exactly 6 hours. With full coverage insurance, a baby seat and one way drop off fees, it was still only $118 from Enterprise.. Not bad I thought..

Probably took you less time to drive than it would have in the airport and sky, etc. I almost never fly anymore for anything that's a 5 or 6 hour drive. By the time I drive to airport, park, go through security, fly, wait for luggage, it's the same amount of time as driving! And I know I am less likely to lose my own luggage. :)

Probably took you less time to drive than it would have in the airport and sky' date=' etc. I almost never fly anymore for anything that's a 5 or 6 hour drive. By the time I drive to airport, park, go through security, fly, wait for luggage, it's the same amount of time as driving! And I know I am less likely to lose my own luggage. :)[/quote']

yep, me too.

I hear your pain. I was at home watching these events unfold, but intead of being worried of impending doom, I was plain outraged at the additonal BS that my own govt is subjecting me to. Check my baggage for travel size toiletries (I carry a 1 oz bottle that I refill with my own shampoo, and a small tube of toothpaste)- Please! Now, if I traveled like my wife, with no less than a gallon of cumulative substances, I can see the argument.

You cant buy a drink in the terminal and carry it onboard?! WTF? Are the airlines going to ramp up the beverage service since they have been relying on the BYOB model for so long?

I fly over 100K miles/yr, and I dont worry about terrorists crashing my plane any more than I worry about being broadsided by a bus on the way to the airport. But rude and abrasive TSA goons are a sure thing. Maybe it wouldnt be so bad if they didnt cruise the local fast food chains for recruits, and hired service minded people who were at least literate? (Probably will revoke my clear membership, now)

I am on the downhill side of my slow season (July/August) where I dont have to travel very much. My next trip is to Pensacola in 2 weeks, and I am going to drive it (440 Mi each way). I also have 2 more trips back to Pensacola (Navy/Marines are big customers) in September, but I am planning on flying for those. Not that flying is any more convenient, I have to connect in DFW or Chicago to get there! But that accrues AA miles :D

Hmmm....I wonder if I can buy a grill with those? 8)

I know I can get one with Holiday Inn/Intercontinental points - They offer a personal shopper service that will get you anything you want for points. Problem is, redeeming for mechandise or retail gift cards goes for about 35K points per $100. The same 35K points will get you a night in a cabin over the lagoon at the Intercontinental Bora Bora (about $550US). Not quite a bargain anymore is it :D

Yeah yeah, quit yer whining...from those of us who have traveled but now choose less money to just stay home.

Next year you'll be flying nude...so get used to it. :shock:

Shut up and cook :D

DJ, can you start a whining section for all our frequent flyers...it's probably just gonna get worse :lol:

Staying home would be less money, and a bunch more work, too! But I would be able to cook more :D

...flying nude....hmmm, for a minute I thought that could be cool. Then I quickly realized that in all my travels, I can count on one hand the number of times that I would have wanted to see the person next to me sans attire. All the rest..yikes!

The one who REALLY had it rough were the people coming from Britain. No laptops, no ipods, noise cancelling headphones...worse than detention in 8th grade! I hope they are loading more liquour on board!

Forget about toiletries, check this out...

Some of you may have heard that Dell is recalling several million laptop batteries. Apparently, they carry a risk of fire and explosion. There have been 6 or so that have exploded, so they are finally going to do something about it.

Check out these pictures of one that was caught on film (way back in June)

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550

Now, as the article suggests, what if that happened in flight?

Dropped my Mother in Law and Daughter off at the airport last saturday, bound for Heathrow. Their flight was delayed for over 6 hours and all they could carry on was a clear ziploc baggie with their tickets, wallets and passport. No electronic devices and not even a bok or magazine to read on a 9 hour flight.

They had no delays getting through security in Seattle but baggage claim and customs in London took them over 4 hours.

I would feel sorry for them but they are on there way for a week in Venice. :)