orthoman

Compare Komodo vs BGE

I would like to share something that I see a lot of people ask about on this forum : Which is better, Komodo or BGE?

I am the owner of both grills and have cooked a lot on both of them. I would like to say that both of them work. If your budget is limited, the BGE can cooks similar types of meals. But I have found that the Komodo build quality is several orders of magnitude higher - the Komodo's walls are thicker and much "beefier" if I can say that. The Komodo's stainless steel grill elements are SO much better that the grill racks that you get with BGE. When you have them side by side, in terms of build quality, there simply is no comparison. I get the feeling when I look at the Komodo that it will last for literally generations if taken care of properly. I am fairly confident that as a 44 year old man, I need to make plans for what happens to these grills after I die!!! I have three sons and only one grill. I need to get at least one more!

But the main area where the Komodo excels beyond any type of grill I have ever had experience with before - This Grilling "Machine" EXCELS BEYOND COMPARE at the holy grail of barbecue cooking - the LOW and SLOW cook. With other grills, inlcuding BGE, the komodo can hone in on a specific temperature, and once it it "dialed in", it is usually ROCK SOLID for hours and hours, with minor adjustments in airflow from time to time. My favorite recipe on the Komodo, is Chris Lilly's "8 time World Championship Pork Butt" - found in the awesome book, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ book (which by the way has become the "bible" I always go to for crowd-pleasers). Since pork shoulder always takes so long, I will usually start one late at night, and let it go all night after filling the basket in the Komodo with charcoal in the center, wood around the edges. If I start at 9pm, it is an easy matter for the darn thing to go all night and maintain that 250 temp that works so well. While I sleep. No way could BGE do that ! I find that when I cook on BGE, I pretty much have to hover around making sure the temp does not get off track.

Re: Compare Komodo vs BGE

One of my prior sentences needs clarification. The one that starts, "With most grills, including the BGE, can hone in..."

What I meant to say, was that the Komodo can really hone in on a specific temperature pretty easily.

I have not had the BGE as long (it is at my lake house), but I have not had nearly the success with a rock solid temperature that requires little maintenance on the BGE. When I a cooking with BGE, I know that I have to stick around and constantly mess around with the dials and the airflow. I also notice that the surface of the BGE runs much hotter throughout that cook than I typically experience with the Komodo. So, my theory is that the BGE loses a lot more heat to the environment than does the Komodo. So, by default, I believe that the BGE uses quite a bit more fuel over time than the Komodo, and the BGE has more trouble regulating its temperature than the Komodo.

Also, I think the Komodo controls airflow better.

I have had my Komodo for going on three years now, and I never cease to be amazed when I wake up in the morning, after having a nice, long sleep, and there is my trusty friend, still going, with a temp of 250 degrees.

I know of no other barbecuing grill or smoker, that does not have a thermostat, that can do that.

I agree with you. I have not owned a BGE but looked at them before and after buying the KK and can say that there is no comparison between the quality of materials between the two grills. Everything on the KK is better, and it does keep the temperature at where you want it like you say. Excellent grill, oven, smoker, pizza maker, it does them all very well.

The biggest part for me was the KK came complete, ready to cook on. It does not need a "nest". I knew I would want to build a wooden table for a BGE, and I was concerned about the temperature of the outside of the grill setting the wood on fire, then who knows what else may burn with it, my house? Saftey is a big concern and I feel the Kamado Komodo is very safe.

Lee G.

I have had my KK for less than a month and I look forward to cooking on it. I also own a BGE XL, which I have had for almost 3 years. At the time I thought the BGE was THE Grill and I bought another, a Large, at an EGGFEST. I have since sold the Large and still have the XL. I have cooked on my KK 4 times and every time I do I seem to be getting better with the Temperature. My BGE XL just sits but I know that I will need its services when we are entertaining.

They both do the same thing, they cook. I do find it easier to get the set Temperature on the KK easier. I do find it doesn't take much with the Vent Openings on the KK to get it to 250 or less. One thing I went for the KK is that with the BGE when it got hot, it got HOT to the touch, whereas with the KK it can get hot but not so hot that one can hurt themselves. That also means that the heat is staying inside the KK more so than BGE. Another thing about the KK is the 3 Levels that one can cook on, with the 3 3/8 Stainless Steel Grills. The BGE finally came out with a Stainless Steel Grill (1). In order to raise the Grill one has to buy accessories. When I would promote the BGE I would also say one would spend as much in accessories as they did in the BGE. I spent my share of money on accessories for my XL. I also made a few with Bolts. We do what we have to.

The one thing that BGE does have is it has a name, The EGG. It also has a Forum, that I still go on. They also have the EGGFESTS. The BGE does have a following. There is a big difference in price but as the saying goes, "YOU GET WHATYOU PAY FOR". I can only speak for myself, I like quality made things. I don't like junk. The BGE is not junk but as there are other Kamados on the market that are just wannabees. It's an economic thing as well.

The Komodo Kamado is also a piece of art. Each one is different. Can't say that about the BGE. We all got to choose which tile colors we wanted, and there are a lot of colors. Where as the BGE is just green. They both have a "Lifetime" Warranty for the most part. One thing that impressed me with the KK is the owner, Dennis, called me when I had issues with getting to temp, delivery of my KK, etc. With the BGE you have to go through the Dealer you bought the BGE or with the "Mothership".

Now if and when the 32" Komodo Kamado comes out, my BGE XL might be gonner. LOL

They are both good products. It's like owning a $500 guitar and a $3000 guitar. They both do the same thing, but for me the $3000 guitar sounds a heck a lot better.

I owned a BGE for about 10 years and bought another one for my second home. Then I heard about KK and bought a 23" one for one of my homes. It was so great and outperformed the BGE in all aspects of cooking. I then sold my BGE. I have just sold my second BGE and bought another KK for my second home. That should tell you what I think of the KK vs. the BGE. There is simply no comparison.