MadMedik

Rack of Lamb with Walnut Crust

This is a recipe for Rack of Lamb w/Walnut Crust that I saw prepared on the Food Network about 12 years ago. I have cooked this several times in the oven. About a year ago i did do this in the KomodoKamado and it was very good. I always enjoyed the oven version, so I tried it in the KK with good results

Some time ago I mentioned to "Loquitur" that I would post the recipe for the Lamb, and never did. So here it is.

Ingredients:

2 racks of lamb (french boned)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Salt (sea salt)

White pepper

2 tablespoons of dried rosemary

1 cup walnuts

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 egg

2 tablespoons of Dijon Mustard

2 cloves of minced garlic

To prepare the racks of lamb, Heat the vegetable oil in a saute pan over high heat. Season the racks of lamb with salt and pepper. Sear the racks on all sides until nicely browned. Remove racks to a platter and allow to cool enough to handle. At this point, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

( I did not sear for the KK version. I did set my KK to 400 degree pit temp. I am sure searing for KK would be fine. Next time I will sear before KK)

To make the walnut crust: Put dried rosemary into a food processor and pulse several times to grind. If you don't do this the rosemary pieces will be too large. Add Walnuts, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper, and garlic powder. Pulse several times until mixture is the consistency of bread crumbs. Pour mixture onto a large dinner plate or a platter.

To make the mustard mixture: In a dish, combine the egg, Dijon mustard and 2 cloves of the minced garlic. Mix well with a fork until egg and mustard are completely incorporated.

Prepare the Racks:

Lay out a piece of foil or parchment paper to receive the racks after prep.

When racks are cool enough to handle (after searing), place 1 rack in the mustard mixture and coat all sides. Next place the coated rack into the walnut mixture and coat well. Using your hand press the walnut mixture firmly onto the coated rack. Transfer rack to the foil/parchment, or, place on the baking sheet if cooking in the oven. Repeat steps for remaining Racks. Start your cooking or place in refrigerator for cooking a bit later...

To cook in oven at 400: Place the racks of lamb into the oven and roast for 20 minutes for medium rare. Consider a temperature probe in one of the racks and remove meat from oven when it registers 125 to 130 degrees (this is recipe's suggestion), or cook to YOUR desired Internal Temp. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.

To cook on KomodoKamado: This is up to you. I followed the heat suggestion for the oven, and got KK up to 400 degrees. I used the Main Grill, no deflector stone and no "smoke enhancements". I cooked it for a bit longer than the 20 minutes suggested in the oven recipe. You will need to decide for yourself.

What makes this good? The CRUST is phenomenal. The mustard and rosemary...yum! The crust will get crispy and browned.....we FIGHT over the crust. As one would expect, this crust will fall off during the cooking and when move the meat around. You want to minimize moving the racks as much as possible. In the oven, there is not much need to move. On the KK, it seams we ( me anyway) have the tendency to want to move and flip the meat ... try to avoid this as much as possible. Be gentle....you don't want to lose the crust....it is very good.....

Prepare this with your favorite Rice or side dish. Enjoy!

I have rack of lamb a lot when i go out...when it sounds good on menu. I have yet to find another Rack of Lamb that tastes like this recipe. It is quite good. Perhaps try in the oven first....but do give it a try on KK. The flavor of BBQ and Smoke does change it...for the better.