MadMedik

Flat Iron Steak Cook : VIDEO

Ok, bear with me here...my first attempt at video recording a cook. I did this last night. It is a Flat Iron Steak cook which I cut up for Fajitia's....Yum, it was very tasty.

For those new to KK Kookers...this is just one version of cooking on the KomodoKamado...there are so many techniques and tricks and ways of cooking on this wonderful device.

Link:

If you are interested in the recipe, it is posted on our Forum. the link is on the video itself as well as the description of the video on YouTube

Thanks

MadMedik

Re: Flat Iron Steak Cook : VIDEO

Great video, MadMedik!! I love seeing how other people do things on the KK - its very instructive and opens all kinds of new doors. For example, I've never cooked a steak on the lower grill where you and Larry cook them. I

use the sear grill on the low handles very close to the coals at maybe 450 dome for 2 min a side and they come out great. But yours and Larry's are coming out great as well so its very, very interesting.

Susan

For example, I've never cooked a steak on the lower grill where you and Larry cook them. I

use the sear grill on the low handles very close to the coals at maybe 450 dome for 2 min a side and they come out great. But yours and Larry's are coming out great as well so its very, very interesting.

Susan

Hi Susan...I am a bit confused. I don't think i understand what you are saying. The sear grill I am using is as low as it possiblly can go. To get lower, which grill are you using? The KK's have 3 grills, the lower one which my cook is filmed using....I call Sear Grill, then the middle grill (main grill and largest) which most of the cooking is done, and then the third grill, Upper Grill, the one with "legs and handles" of a sort, that I put on the Main Grill, which extends the cooking vertically and up in to the dome.... Is this the grill you are mentioning?

If yes, then you take the Upper Grill, and put it all the way down and rest on the handles of the Coal Basket? This would certainly get the cooking level VERY low and below the levels in which LarryR and I seared our steaks.

I had never really considered doing this before. The grill i used gets so hot, I cannot imagine getting the meat even closer to the coals??? As you can see with just LarryR and my techniques, LarryR goes much higher temps than I... I have yet to grasp the idea of cooking at such high heats....to me it seems so freaking HOT. Same with pizza cooks...some say they are cooking their pizzas at 650 to 700 degrees.....that just seems so hot. The pizza I have done has been cooked at about 510 to 520 and turns out so well....usually takes the pizza right at 10 minutes to cook

Interesting to say the least....like I orginally said, there are so many techniques in cooking on the KK....and none are really right or wrong...it is all about what works for you , makes you feel comforable, and ultimately, what tasted good in ones own mouth. Just like wine...the only good wine is what tastes good to you...regardless of type or Cost.

So Dennis....if you read this, what are the "Official Names of the 3 Grills" that come with the KK??? (anyone else can answer too.... :D )

Thanks for your input

MadMedik

...... and then the third grill, Upper Grill, the one with "legs and handles" of a sort, that I put on the Main Grill, which extends the cooking vertically and up in to the dome.... Is this the grill you are mentioning?

Yes.

If yes, then you take the Upper Grill, and put it all the way down and rest on the handles of the Coal Basket? This would certainly get the cooking level VERY low and below the levels in which LarryR and I seared our steaks.

Yes - but you turn it upside down so that the short handles are resting on the charcoal basket, the opposite of how you use it on the tall handles to extend the cooking area into the dome. It gets the meat within a few inches of the coals.

I had never really considered doing this before. The grill i used gets so hot, I cannot imagine getting the meat even closer to the coals???

It's really great down there if you like your steaks/burgers well seared on the outside but still rare on the inside. And you don't have to be dealing with those super high temps because you are so close to the coals. I bring my KK to 450 dome and then two minutes a side is perfect for my family - no dwell required. I certainly could be wrong about this but I always understood that this is what Dennis called the sear grill. I call the grill you and Larry are cooking your steaks on the "lower grill". We need to get this terminology squared away so that we are talking about the same thing when referring to the sear grill. Honestly, I was very surprised to see you and Larry cooking steaks up there. But it was soooo interesting!! And, you can't cook with honey way down close to the coals, for sure.

I actually rarely use the lower grill. If I want to cook at that level, like for pork chops, I use the sear grill on the tall handles which is just about the same level as the lower grill you were cooking on. I just find it easier to lift the sear grill on the tall handles in and out of the KK than the lower grill when I have bulky gloves on.

Being able to cook so close to the coals is one of my favorite things about the KK. I never liked a steak or burger I cooked on a gas grill because by the time I got it seared on the exterior, it was overdone on the interior. Now my steaks and burgers are perfect.

Interesting to say the least....like I orginally said, there are so many techniques in cooking on the KK....and none are really right or wrong...it is all about what works for you , makes you feel comforable, and ultimately, what tasted good in ones own mouth. Just like wine...the only good wine is what tastes good to you...regardless of type or Cost.

Absolutely!!! And we have so much to learn from each other - especially me who never cooked on charcoal before buying my KK. Your videos and Larry's are fantastic and I can't wait for the next one!!

Hopefully Dennis will let us know soon what the proper terminology is for the three grills and four cooking positions.

Susan

I found this post from Dennis entitled Three Grills Four Cooking Positions:

Time for me to step in and clarify things a bit..

Three grills.. four cooking positions.

Upper/Sear duo use grill.. Has the tall legs

Main Grill has the door built in, sits near the lip..

Lower Grill.. has the open space up front (to add wood for smoking)

It's the upper / sear that can be used in two positions..

is of course can be set on top of the main or lower grill for a "second story cooking configuration..

Then it can be flipped over with the tall legs, now handles up and sit it down right on the tall handles of the charcoal basket.. with a full bowl this can get the grill right down on the coals...

There you have it 3G.. 4CP

:lol::lol:

Talk about high temp cooking - we have a new pizza cafe nearby that has an Italian-made, ceramic, wood-fired oven (tiled in beautiful light blue tiles) that runs at 900F!! The pizzas cook in only 90 seconds! They are heavenly.