WiFi Guru

I just got my wifi unit working in infrastructure mode, which means that it is communicating through my existing wifi router. It has more capabilities this way, including internet access to the control unit, and e-mail and text alerts. It's a bit more difficult to get into this mode, but I believe it works a bit better.

AdHoc mode, which is out of the box, works very easily, will work for anybody with a smart device, it just doesn't have quite the range or capability of infrastructure mode.

This unit does seem expensive, but once you've invested in a kk, come on!

The other thing about the fan units, you better have your grill soaked and close to your target temp before plugging the fan in, or you'll have an overshoot on your hands! Set up properly, this unit will take all guesswork out of temp control on a long cooks, leaving more time for just admiring your beautiful kk!

Re: WiFi Guru

Overshooting.....try this...set the temp for 20 or 30 degrees below what you actually desire and let it go. Then it will overshoot, but actually be where you want it to be. As soon as it is where you really want it, reset the programming to maintain that heat at the desired temp, which is the " overshoot" temp. It works for me... I too have done the manual method then turned on the fan.

In all of my testing, overshoot hasn't been huge and has only been temporary. 10-20 degrees isn't going to make any difference on most cooks, especially since it will come down. That said, I've never really tested on a KK, which has a lot more thermal mass than the Eggs I've used.

However, heat soaking really isn't relevant as far as I can see. An un-heatsoaked cooker means that some of the heat from the fire is going into raising the temperature of the cooker, which will keep the air temp below what the fire could normally sustain. As the temp of the cooker's walls rises, the size of the fire needed gets smaller, but that's what the controller will be taking care of.

Frankly, I always just let the controller bring the temp up and let it gain control.

Just another little addition to Whizzy's comment. What I found seems to cause most people's overshoot issue is natural draft not being under control. Someone once told me to let the Guru do the work. I close my tophat till no smoke exits unless the fan is pushing it. That stops the natural draft being pulled through the fan when it is not on and that is also the reason why those little Stoker fan doors make no difference. I use both with no overshoot issues and they control the fire from the beginning. Don't use any rule of thumb on top dampers (like open 1/4 turn) when using forced air control. I crack the damper off the seat, then let it gently rest back on it. Just enough so smoke puffs out when the fan kicks in.

Also, just a little more info and Whizzy correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most all of the more recent Guru firmwares (couple years) have a step startup process. Works similar to the open lid detect in that it will pause at intervals bringing up the grill to temp. I noticed that feature in my Procom after I upgraded it.

-=J

Drunk_J' date=' I don't know about a changed startup algorithm. I'll have to ask them as I get going on the CyberQ Wifi work.[/quote']

Interesting, curious now. Ask Bob about it, as I believe he was the one that explained it to me when I thought something was wrong with my Procom after getting it back from a firmware upgrade (quite a while back). I always thought it was odd that the step startup was not listed in a feature list, but sure enough, my Procom does it. So I just assumed the other units with the lid open feature also had that feature since they seem to be similar and appeared at the same time. I have an original CyberQ and DigiQII, but actually never noticed as they rarely ever get used.

-=J

Dittos to drunkj regarding holding low temps.

Just crack the tophat to where smoke comes out when the fan blows and little or none comes out when the fan is off.

Also, for a Guru, open the sliding draft door only 1/4 or less for a low temp cook.

I notice that OLD is on by default on the CyberQ Wifi' date=' so maybe that is what is up?[/quote']

Maybe it was just trying to tell you something? :lol:

Dittos to drunkj regarding holding low temps.

Just crack the tophat to where smoke comes out when the fan blows and little or none comes out when the fan is off.

Also, for a Guru, open the sliding draft door only 1/4 or less for a low temp cook.

I actually use the 3/4 mark on my 10 cfm Guru fan. Bring it up to temp faster and I still have no overshoot issues. But that is also with the Procom, which has an additional proportional band adjustment in the super user menu (and can be used to tighten the setpoint).

-=J

I have tried over and over to get my Guru to work on my home network to no avail. Any suggestions?  I am not exactly tech ignorant but not a programer either. It works fine on adhoc but the network is so limited that I have to have my IPad really close to the unit.  So I am stuck there when I would like to do other things.  If it were on wifi mode using my local network I could use it anywhere within range in my house.