kad1979

Konro grill

Re: Konro grill

I have been chatting off an on with a person who gave me a lot of information about Binchotan and in those discussions, he said these high-priced konro's are a waste of money, that you'd do better to buy one of the cheap ones. He said that "the locals" all use the inexpensive round ones. FWIW......

There's a brilliant version of these in Flushing, Queens, NYC, used for Chinese street food. It looks like a giant metal "L" laying on its back. One adds raw charcoal to the top of the vertical column at one end, and sweeps perfect embers out the bottom, to distribute all along the trough over which one cooks. Like the Konro, the trough gap is tuned for skewers. Best grilled street food I've had outside Thailand....

I have one. It's fantastic for Japanese yakitori. It is design so that the skewers will not be exposed to the intense heat used in this style of cooking This is one area the KK won't produce the same results. And this type of grill requires Japanese style of compressed, high density charcoal. Very expensive and hard to find in the US. I have mine mailed to me from Korin in NYC. But it does last a very long time.

IAnd this type of grill requires Japanese style of compressed' date=' high density charcoal.[/quote']

Have you tried the new extruded coconut KK charcoal from Dennis? Not exactly bincho charcoal (not made the same way) but the closest I've seen, for how it behaves.