TexasTim

She's in Cali

Re: She's in Cali

Ahhhhh

Second brisket on. First was 2 days ago, a choice packer from my local supermarket done with the high temp method, turned out awesome. Now, just for "practice" ;), I'm smoking a wagyu packer from our speciality butcher. Trimmed her last night, rubbed her down then put her in a trash bag and into the fridge overnight. Started first thing this morning on the kamado using cookie's method listed here on this site, to get it at 225. I plan on letting her sit in some lovely blue smoke for a few hrs and then raising the temp, a method also proposed here on this site in the brisket threads. I have used LarryR's method of putting a small bit of foil under the thin end of the flat, to keep it from drying or getting hard, because this brisket untrimmed weighed 14lbs, so it is large and there was no way to keep that portion of the brisket from protruding too close to the wall of the kamado.

I'm smoking a wagyu packer from our speciality butcher. Trimmed her last night' date=' rubbed her down then put her in a trash bag and into the fridge overnight. Started first thing this morning on the kamado using cookie's method listed here on this site, to get it at 225. I plan on letting her sit in some lovely blue smoke for a few hrs and then raising the temp, a method also proposed here on this site in the brisket threads. I have used LarryR's method of putting a small bit of foil under the thin end of the flat, to keep it from drying or getting hard, because this brisket untrimmed weighed 14lbs, so it is large and there was no way to keep that portion of the brisket from protruding too close to the wall of the kamado.[/quote']

You had me at Wagyu. In my experience I'd stay away from higher heat with this cut. I've smoked these as low as 210 with excellent results. I find I find the leaner cuts lend themselves to the higher heat approach. Post some pictures of that bad boy!

I've got a 16.25 lb chuck roast on right now.

210!!!

I don't think I'm completely reliable to set the kamado at that low temp and have it hover there, being a newb. I did find it amazing that the temp did come up to 275 eventually, despite only lighting a snowball amount of charcoal, at 10 mins shutting down the vents to quarter turn and a credit card width on the bottom. I closed the top to about an eighth or less open and she slowly started coming down to 265....amazing in it's efficiency!!!!

Larry,

My plan was to do an 18 hr smoke on the wagyu packer starting last night, but I let the fire get away from me and the temp rested at 300 :eek:

So, I decided to shut her down, put the rubbed brisket into the fridge and started over this morning. I really needed to do the "fast" brisket cook today as I work tomorrow and don't want to be up with it tonight. Did a much better light this morning and felt more comfortable getting her to 235-250.