salguod

Temperature using gas only

Hi all,

I'm still waiting for someone to run their KK using gas only at max and then post what the high temperature is using gas alone. I’m mostly just curious because I’m a hard core charcoal guy. But there are times when I want to bake something in a conventional manner without adding charcoal flavor and without heating the kitchen with the oven. We live in hot Sacramento, and starting the oven during summer overloads the air conditioner, heats the house, and sucks money. A gas KK outside could be the solution, and it could be a good selling point with my wife.

So how about it? Will somebody run their KK with the gas at max and post the high temperature achieved?

Doug

Unfortunately I do not have my gas option as of yet however I have seen the burner and had a gas option on my old K. I was able to reach temps in the 600's with it so I would venture to guess that this burner will do the same if not better. I have used my old gas to cook pizzas, hot dogs etc. Worked fine and did not take very long to heat up. It is a great option to have.

Bumping

Gang, I would like to resurrect this topic. I know there's been some new developments on the burner since this question was originally posted.

How hot can KK safely run with the new burner as the only heat source?

Is there a difference in temp between using a natural gas vs propane?

Are there potential problems firing gas-only in a high usage situation like outdoor catering or inside a restaurant kitchen?

Re: Bumping

Gang, I would like to resurrect this topic. I know there's been some new developments on the burner since this question was originally posted.

How hot can KK safely run with the new burner as the only heat source?

Is there a difference in temp between using a natural gas vs propane?

Are there potential problems firing gas-only in a high usage situation like outdoor catering or inside a restaurant kitchen?

Actually there are several more lengthy threads on the subject. The last of which is where I converted over my burner to all NPT fittings. In it I give the temperatures achieved and approximate times, damper settings and felt it could be safely accomplished due to the fact only low pressure was used. Check out the burner mod topic in the KK features and accessories and there are more thread in the KK 411.

-=Jasen=-

Actually there are several more lengthy threads on the subject. The last of which is where I converted over my burner to all NPT fittings. In it I give the temperatures achieved and approximate times, damper settings and felt it could be safely accomplished due to the fact only low pressure was used. Check out the burner mod topic in the KK features and accessories and there are more thread in the KK 411.

-=Jasen=-

I should have mentioned that I'm asking this because I'm curious about operating a KK strictly on gas near 800 F for baking pizzas in a continuous-use scenario (a restaurant).

The operative phrase in my question was "safely operate." On Jasen's burner conversion thread, he says that 525F is very reasonable and safe with a low pressure regulator. Doesn't say if 800F is possible with J's conversion, but only because he didn't see the need to test that high.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... 3878#13878

There's a separate thread where Dennis shows a dangerous, will-void-your-life-insurance-Darwin-Award-nominee scenario that can "easily bury the needle at 800."

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... 1160#11160

So the question is, what will it take to safely operate the KK at 800F?

-=Jasen=-

I should have mentioned that I'm asking this because I'm curious about operating a KK strictly on gas near 800 F for baking pizzas in a continuous-use scenario (a restaurant).

The operative phrase in my question was "safely operate." On Jasen's burner conversion thread, he says that 525F is very reasonable and safe with a low pressure regulator. Doesn't say if 800F is possible with J's conversion, but only because he didn't see the need to test that high.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... 3878#13878

There's a separate thread where Dennis shows a dangerous, will-void-your-life-insurance-Darwin-Award-nominee scenario that can "easily bury the needle at 800."

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... 1160#11160

So the question is, what will it take to safely operate the KK at 800F?

Ok, the temps I posted were probably the max you will see with low pressure and this burner. The burner is a low pressure burner and not made for higher pressure gas so it burns more efficient in the low pressure region. Another thing is if you increase the pressure, you are increasing the volume of gas being pumped into a relatively small and enclosed space. That is not a good thing in any safety book. You could look into getting a higher BTU rated low pressure burner for the situation. Adding some lava rocks in the basket would also be a good idea to help burn any off gases or unburnt fuels. I might also add that there is a significant loss of heat when opening the lid at high temps and will have a longer recovery time with gas only (not an issue at home, but might be a problem in a business situation).

Any reason they just could not find a fairly neutral charcoal to burn instead? Have Dennis custom make a cooker with a charcoal feed hopper/door in the back and ash trap door on bottom since it would be in a production situation.

-=Jasen=-