mk1

More Sear basket fun

Re: More Sear basket fun

I guess the question is: do I really NEED the Sear Basket ? What are the benefits of having one ? I do understand using

less charcoal but with the KK I get that already for the most part. Does using half the amount of charcoal do a good job on searing steaks, cook chicken, etc. Does the amount of less charcoal put out the same amount of Heat ? When would the basket be used ?

I do understand the concept as I have a Lump Reducer for my BGE XL, I do like having gadgets and accessories.

Thanks.

I lit that fire cooked those shrimp AND put it out in about 12 minutes total...no heat up needed. It sears and cooks steak really well, also. Just depends on your needs, I have been cooking on my lower grill extensively with this. It is a GRILLING tool.

As for the half basket, It really is for low volume cooking, 2 or 4 small to medium steaks....

The shrimp was about max'd out. It is a great accessory.

Re: More Sear basket fun Remember airflow is temperature Something I noticed when using the basket splitter is that the sheet metal that cuts off the airflow from half the basket basically doubles the airflow thru the open side.. This actually means that it is easier and faster to get to high temps because with the same settings you now have twice the airflow for a given area.. Cool eeh? ;) ;) fetch?id=67300

post-6370-13908239128_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082402438_thumb.jpg

Permissions.jpg[/attachment:ch7wsg81]

I took a screen grab of the "you do not have the required permissions..." message replacing each image for me in this thread. Alas, I can't even see the screen grab after posting it, I get the same error message!

My forum master is MIA. I need to get onto Odesk and get another one..

Will do tomorrow..

;)

I ordered the Charcoal Basket Splitter today. From I have read from others' post that is would be a good thing to have. I am just trying to understand the purpose. I can see that it is like a Lump reducer. When and how would I use it ? What are the benefits ? Lets say I am grilling a steak, how would it be used ?

Thanks.

For grilling only 2-6 steaks you don't have to light of the whole charcoal basket.

You can decide to use only one half or one quarter basket..

The stainless sheet also effectively shuts off the airflow on the one side which doubles the airflow on the other side.

Airflow of course it how temps are controlled.

It also creates a two zone cooking area which is popular with some..

An unexpected benefit for me is that it's now easy to leave your hand/arm down in the grill, trust me at 650º dome it's raging hot down below the lip ... even with up to your elbows welding gloves on it's challenging to stay down there for extended periods.. I turn the basket so the splitter is pointing to 2 and 8 o'clock and the fire is to the left and back.

This is ideal for a right handed person to reach into the grill and play with their food..

;)

Re: More Sear basket fun fetch?id=74688 Exactly what Dennis said. Here's a pic of my setup from tonight, where I grilled a 20oz NY, couple sausages and some onions. A compact pile of lump and I run the KK wide open and it's perfect for grilling a steak. Lights faster and uses only a small portion as opposed to the whole basket.

post-7653-139082418512_thumb.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376201786.789050.jpg[/attachment:1z199lfm]

Exactly what Dennis said. Here's a pic of my setup from tonight, where I grilled a 20oz NY, couple sausages and some onions. A compact pile of lump and I run the KK wide open and it's perfect for grilling a steak.

Lights faster and uses only a small portion as opposed to the whole basket.

Thanks for the picture. What does the 1/2 plate steel that is on the bottom do ? So from what I see the steak(s) would be cooked on the side of the charcoal. Right ? Would this set up be used for roasting a chicken ? Just trying to see the possibilities.

the steel plate directs the airflow to the side with the charcoal. It does this REALLY well. I can go from 0 to 600 in less than 10 minutes.....

you could use this for a chicken roast, maybe full depth splitter rather than half depth....

the steel plate directs the airflow to the side with the charcoal. It does this REALLY well. I can go from 0 to 600 in less than 10 minutes.....

you could use this for a chicken roast, maybe full depth splitter rather than half depth....

Not to sound stupid but what do you mean by "full depth splitter rather than half depth splitter"?

Thanks.

Dennis, have you considered building a half splitter? That way one could do that minion method and place their wood in progression along the curve. I tried it a couple times with a piece of perforated scrap metal. The perforations allow for airflow through the core, but prevented igniting the entire basket at once. Two out of three times it worked really well. The other time it started to go out because the metal was oddly shaped and fell over. If you made one I would totally buy it.

[Not to sound stupid but what do you mean by "full depth splitter rather than half depth splitter"?

The basket splitter not only has the vertical divider which you see in the picture but also two horizontal grid dividers so the basket can be set up with half the depth of charcoal. This has lots of variations - the full width of the basket at half depth (1/2 basket) or half the width of the basket at full depth (also 1/2 basket) or half the width of the basket at half depth (1/4 basket). For small quick cooks, half the width at half the depth (1/4 basket) works great because it heats up fast, cools down fast and barely uses any lump. Roasting a chicken is a longer cook than a quick grill so you might want to use half the width of the basket at full depth - which is the full depth splitter configuration referred to above. I use it all the time and like it so much that I bought an extra basket so I can have it dedicated to the splitter.

Susan

Gary, don't get caught up on full depth vs half depth. To accommodate the depth when using the splitter just add more or less charcoal. I can show you all the pieces and how they fit into the basket. Come on over anytime and I will show you the Sear basket splitter and the fun you can have with it.

Gary' date=' don't get caught up on full depth vs half depth. To accommodate the depth when using the splitter just add more or less charcoal. [/quote']

Just want to point out that using the horizontal basket splitter at half depth allows you to maintain the same distance from the top of the coals to the sear grill as full depth with half the charcoal. If you just use half the amount of charcoal without the horizontal splitter in place, you have significantly increased the distance from the top of the coals to the sear grill changing the nature and timing of your sear. This is an important feature to me since I like to sear very close to the coals on the sear grill. If you like to sear on the lower grill or mostly cook on the main grill, it probably doesn't make much difference whether you use the half depth splitter pieces.