mk1

More Sear basket fun

Re: More Sear basket fun

Gary' date=' don't get caught up on full depth vs half depth. To accommodate the depth when using the splitter just add more or less charcoal. [/quote']

Just want to point out that using the horizontal basket splitter at half depth allows you to maintain the same distance from the top of the coals to the sear grill as full depth with half the charcoal. If you just use half the amount of charcoal without the horizontal splitter in place, you have significantly increased the distance from the top of the coals to the sear grill changing the nature and timing of your sear. This is an important feature to me since I like to sear very close to the coals on the sear grill. If you like to sear on the lower grill or mostly cook on the main grill, it probably doesn't make much difference whether you use the half depth splitter pieces.

You have a very good grasp of this.....imho :smt041

Gary' date=' don't get caught up on full depth vs half depth. To accommodate the depth when using the splitter just add more or less charcoal. [/quote']

Just want to point out that using the horizontal basket splitter at half depth allows you to maintain the same distance from the top of the coals to the sear grill as full depth with half the charcoal. If you just use half the amount of charcoal without the horizontal splitter in place, you have significantly increased the distance from the top of the coals to the sear grill changing the nature and timing of your sear. This is an important feature to me since I like to sear very close to the coals on the sear grill. If you like to sear on the lower grill or mostly cook on the main grill, it probably doesn't make much difference whether you use the half depth splitter pieces.

You have a very good grasp of this.....imho :smt041

I hope so.

Thank you for all the information.

OK, I succumbed to peer pressure and order the basket splitter.

If it works as well as it's advertised, I may have to retire the baby Grill Dome, which I use for small, fast grilling (couple of burgers, brats, tuna steaks, or chicken breasts). Bought it to save on charcoal over using the bigger KK (and originally the POSK). Yeah, I know, you can snuff out the charcoal at the end of the cook, but you still end up burning a lot more than you really need.

Loquitur wrote: Just want to point out that using the horizontal basket splitter at half depth allows you to maintain the same distance from the top of the coals to the sear grill as full depth with half the charcoal. If you just use half the amount of charcoal without the horizontal splitter in place, you have significantly increased the distance from the top of the coals to the sear grill changing the nature and timing of your sear. This is an important feature to me since I like to sear very close to the coals on the sear grill. If you like to sear on the lower grill or mostly cook on the main grill, it probably doesn't make much difference whether you use the half depth splitter pieces.

EXCELLENT RESPONSE TO MY POST! I really like the basket splitter. Just have not tried the different setup options yet. Thanks for the informstion. :)

OK, I succumbed to peer pressure and order the basket splitter.

If it works as well as it's advertised, I may have to retire the baby Grill Dome, which I use for small, fast grilling (couple of burgers, brats, tuna steaks, or chicken breasts). Bought it to save on charcoal over using the bigger KK (and originally the POSK). Yeah, I know, you can snuff out the charcoal at the end of the cook, but you still end up burning a lot more than you really need.

Dennis hit it out of the park with the basket splitter accessory because it bridges the gap to make the KK a perfect vehicle whether you are cooking for two or for a group. I don't consider myself a tree hugger but it used to bug me that I had to use the energy to heat up the whole basket of charcoal and then cool it all down for a small cook like two burgers. It seemed like such a waste. And I didn't feel putting less charcoal in the basket was an acceptable option because it increased the distance from the coals to the sear grill preventing me from the kind of sear I like. Reusing the left over charcoal is fine but like Tony says, you still use way more than you need. I actually had thoughts that maybe I made a mistake buying such a big grill that took so much charcoal and investigated buying a mini or small Big Green Egg for the majority of my cooks. NOT ANY MORE!!! The KK now is great for everybody whether you are doing a quick, small weekday grill or a large roast or an overnight low and slow and everything inbetween. I strongly recommend that you also get a charcoal basket for the splitter. You will use it more than you think and you won't have to be pushing partially used up coals around the basket to set it up when you go from full basket to splitter basket. Thanks, Dennis - this was genius!!

Tony - you better start looking for a storage place for the Grill Dome. I can't wait to hear what you think about it!!

Having "buyer's remorse," but not from buying the splitter for the KK, but the extra grills that I recently bought for the Grill Dome, hoping to expand its usefulness. They're still in the shrink wrap.

I will probably do some side-by-sides between the GD and KK on a couple of burger cooks to see which one uses the least charcoal to get the job done.

Craig - that was some larger sized lumps of Mesquite. I've been using a lot of mesquite lately since I got a great deal on it - $13 for 40lb bags - but it sure does burn up quick. The more I try other charcoal, the more I love the Coco-Char. I haven't found any very good quality lump tho, there just isn't much around here other than the way-overpriced stuff at BBQ galore.

Sorry Craig, just saw this! Those are some of the larger pieces from my 40# bag of Mexican mesquite I got at the firewood supply yard. I don't recall if there is even a name on the bag but I'll check. If I had to guess I'd say there was 10-15% chips and dust in it, but overall a pretty good product. And only $13!!!

Finally got my basket splitter a couple of weeks ago and am already in love with it!! :love7:

I've done steaks, chops, and tonight, chicken thighs. I end up using a lot less charcoal than before and can do indirect cooks without having to use the heat deflector.

The baby Grill Dome is doomed. It may end up on Craig's List soon.