carolpjohnson

Hello from OHIO

Hello All,

I am the winner of the Kingsford Charcoal contest that Dennis has mentioned. I'm definitely surprised and a bit overwhelmed. Lot to learn here.

Wanted to ask if someone could give me Johnny's email address for the covers. I've seen him mentioned but have missed the addy to contact him. I think it's one of the 1st purchases I should make.

Also saw mention of this looftlighter.......is this a good item to have to start the charcoal and could someone give me a price range on it? I see it on Amazon but I have no idea what is a good price.

This is quite a large site and it will take me awhile to get around in it.

Thanks

Re: Hello from OHIO

The looflighter some like, it is convenient, it does use lots of electricity. All i have seen are $79.00. You need a outlet nearby also. I looked at one, there is a place here locally that sells them. For me a charcoal chimney works just fine and its about $10.00 or so, guess i am cheap. I also have a weed burner, way overkill for lighting the charcoal but it is fun! Please feel free to ask any questions Carol, we like to help and exchange information!

Carter

One of the things about a kk is that for low and slow cooks, it uses an amazingly small amount of charcoal. The chimney starter gives you the burnt paper that blows everywhere with the slightest breeze, and the lighter sticks can light a larger amount of coal than you need, overshoot time.

The looftlighter works like advertized, you control how much you light, and its the fastest. Hey, you've got a $4000.00 piece of cookery there, is $79.00 gonna be an issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, the charcoal chimney is a little messy when you use paper as a starter. Ash flying all over. Depending on where you have your KK, it may or may not be a problem. I use it because it is so fast, 6 to 8 minutes. I have used it with those parrafin/sawdust starters and that works cleaner, albeit a little slower. I will try a few alternatives with the chimney and report back; sterno, potato chips, whatever I can think of that isn't paper. A Looftlighter is good for starting just a little bit of lump for a low and slow. And don't forget Dennis' trick of using a blow dryer to get a huge raging fire lightning quick when you need that. It's pretty impressive.

I really like my Looftlighter.. I wish it had another button for more airflow so it would work like my hair drier. It's basically the same principal.. It lights just a tiny bit but that tiny bit with lots of airglow creates the heat which lights everything so quickly.. I wish it had the slow speed to get a grape worth of charcoal burning then a high speed switch/fan to get it raging.. They sell them for $39 in AU makes the $79 in the States look like a ripoff..

;);)

Thanks Everyone for the welcome & congratulations. She should arrive in just a couple days, and plan on taking pictures. Supposed to have rain for the next few days so not sure how that will work out.

Thanks for the email address for the cover, and the info on the lighters,etc. Gonna order those 2 to start.

I want to do that initial burn and have it done.

Thanks again

Wow nice prize to win. Congrats!! Well as for the looftlighter I debated between it and the torch as well but after reading many posts it seems the torch was better so thats what I went with. I can say it works very well for me so I am glad thats the way I went.