brett

Pork Butt Safety

I put a couple of Pork butts (~7lb each) on the KK last night. Sadly as I was closing the lid, I broke the wire to my pit thermometer on my BBQ Guru... so was cooking a little blind (didn't have another thermometer). I wanted to cook it nice and slow and so was guessing at a 210-ish temperature before I went to bed.

They have been going for about 16 hrs - and I just got a thermometer and determined that the pit has only been at about 160.

The meat is reading about 140 degrees at the moment. I'm bringing the pit up to 250 now that I can measure it - to finish them off.

Question is - as long as I bring these up to 190 ish to finish, any food-safety concerns at cooking them so low (160 pit) for so long?

Re: Pork Butt Safety

Pathogens are dead in about 7 seconds at 160 degrees, so you should be safe. Are you taking it to 195-210? There should be no problem at all. Chicken is safe to eat at 165!

There are web sites with this info, giving a very technical explanations of the temperatures and pathogens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Pork Butt Safety

Back in my Pellet Smoker days I would start them at 165 degrees for the first 8 hours or so and it was always fine. I do recall reading somewhere that with Poultry it's important to get it to either 140 or 160 within 4 hours.

But Pork is fine. Just one more reason why the Pig is a magical animal!