mdbinkc

New Member, New KK Coming. How will I move it?

I'm looking for ideas ahead of the arrival of my new most-prized possession. I assume the shipper will drop the crate on my driveway, and that I may be able to talk him into (read: grease his palms) moving it into the garage for me. I will then have to figure out how to get it to my back deck. I'm sure many of you have experienced and solved this dilemma, so I thought I'd elicit some advice.

I have one step up to the front doorway (plus the threshold), through the foyer and living room, and then a step down to the deck. I own a hand truck with inflatable tires. Will I be able to pick up the KK with the hand truck, and maneuver up the step, through the house, and down onto the deck? Will I need to remove the dome? How many young, strong guys will I need to help me?

Any tips/advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.....

Re: New Member, New KK Coming. How will I move it?

Moving the KK.. lots of ways to go with this.

I have used money to tip the driver to bring the pallet jack around back using two sheets of ply wood, alternating them as a surface on which to roll the KK.

I have used a hand trick to strap the crate to, tip it back and rolll the crate an all onto the back porch.

I have done this with two people before, but it is heavy, you need to be able to support the weight of the KK with one person, while the other helps balance the bottom end.

Search teh forum, you can also remove the top, thereby reducing the weight and more easily moving it.

If the driver has a Pallet Jack and if he is nice, he might be able to move into the backyard, if there is easy access.

I put plywood on the lawn to make it easy for the pallet jack to roll the KK onto the concrete.

It was a lifesaver.

I also tipped the driver to use his pallet jack to move if from the truck to my back patio. I have cement all the way but the driveway is steep so it took both of us to be sure. Given that you're considering going through the house it sounds like you're going to an elevated deck?

A hand truck with several helpers could work, if you leave the KK in the crate until you get it to the deck. You want to avoid scratches and stress loads on parts of the cooker not designed to handle them. A refrigerator dolly with strapping would work better than a hand truck. Just my 2 cents worth! :D

The key tool is the tip money, $20.00 absolute minimum for this job. A hand truck seems a little small for this monster. I took off the top and emptied out the body completely, then used the rope and 2 x 4 trick. 2 big high schoolers hauled it out back easily that way. If you do it with that method, PAD THE 2 x 4's.

Great suggestions. Thanks everyone.

If the delivery driver has the right dolly for the job, I will definitely have some cash ready to entice him! Otherwise, I will probably rent an appliance dolly to get it up the front step, through the house, and out the back door to the elevated deck, while crated. Going through the yard with the pallet jack is not an option, since there are 12 steps up to my deck.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Sounds like your setup is very similar to mine, I had the KK placed in my garage. Instead of going through the front door I went through the garage door straight through the kitchen and out to the deck. I removed the lid and grates and two of us were able to get it up the 2 steps from the garage and out onto the deck. I had to remove the stoppers from my patio door (slider) to get it to open another inch to get the KK through but no other problems.