mdbinkc

KK Stability

In anticipation of the arrival of my KK, I am trying to plan ahead.

I live in East-Central Kansas. Anyone that's ever lived here knows that this is one windy place. My KK will will resting about 10 feet above ground on my deck, exposed to the 50+mph southerly gusts we experience in the spring.

I have already had two grills, plus my deck furniture, tipped over and blown "clean off the deck". At 568 pounds, should I be concerned that my 23" KK will tip? If so, I will try to figure out a way to secure it to the deck. Probably a no-brainer.

Re: KK Stability

It's hard to imagine the wind tipping over a KK to a lay person like me. We'll see what our science/engineer members think. On the infrequent occasions when I'm in a severe storm with high winds I push my KK into a corner so the wind won't roll it around on its wheels. And I try to secure everything else in the vicinity so other items won't be picked up by the wind and crash into the KK. The wind has never effected my KK at all so it very well may be that my efforts here are completely unnecessary.

Do you think I'll be able to roll it ony cedar decking without damaging the wood? I'm guessing I will have to put plywood under it, but I could roll it into a corner. I do plan to cook through the winter and spring, so it will be a hassle moving it back and forth. I'll see if I can come up with an elegant an effective way to secure it. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

I live in Northern CA and bought my KK because of the high winds in my area and my desire to cook outside despite the wind. I have never had any issue with wind even coming close to moving my KK. I was more concerned using the cooker in the wind, and that has not been a problem either. The KK shape does not present much of a cross-section for wind so I doubt you'll have any trouble. You made a good choice!

mdbinkc, I live in Eastern Kansas (Ottawa to be exact) and have my KK on my deck that is about 12 ft off the ground. I get plenty of the Kansas wind and have never had any problems with the grill moving at all - even after furniture is turned over and trees blown over in the neighborhood. I can't say about damaging the deck, but mine is cedar and I haven't had any damage other than roller marks when I used to move the grill around. I have since put mine in a permanent spot so I don't have to move it. The marks were easily cleaned off so it wasn't a major problem. I do place a grill mat under the KK when I use it but remove it when the KK is idle. I expect that you aren't too far from me, I would be happy to help you set the KK up when it arrives, you are welcome to come check mine out any time that I am there but I am usually only home on weekends.

CP, it does sound like our set up is very similar. That makes me feel better. I appreciate your offer of help set up my grill. I think I can handle it with a couple of friends, but I'll let you know if I run into any trouble. I am hoping to hear something about shipping soon - my KK was due to arrive in the LA port on 10/10.

I am up in Olathe, so not too far from you. I am definitely interested in learning from you. I having been shopping for grill mats - let me know if you have a recommendation. Not sure if you use the coco-char, but if you do, perhaps we can share an order to reduce shipping. Let's keep in touch.

A couple of thoughts on KK's and decks. I had an old J Kamado for years which did not weigh as much as the KK. Even though I had specially built the area with extra supports I had some bowing of the deck surface under the wheels, which were farther apart-spreading the load, than the KK's wheels. I found a section of old slate school chalkboard at a salvage place ($35) and set the KK in the middle. It has been only about four months, but so far no cracking of the slate and a large grease spill cleaned up with degreaser without leaving a mark. So maybe check the building salvage places and craigslist and see if you can find a piece of slate?

When I had my deck re-built a few years back, I had them use Iron Wood on a 4' x 4' corner, where the K goes. A couple of minor scortch marks, but no worries about burning down the deck. I worry more about the dog grabbing a hot coal, as he likes to eat charcoal! I guess sticks are sticks, even if carbonized.

mdbinkc, I bought a grill mat from Home Depot and cut the corners so I can slide it under the KK when it is in use. I didn't want something that sits on my deck permanently as the color of the deck will fade differently and I didn't want any moisture to accumulate under the mat. My mat is colored cedar and matches my deck quite nicely, Smoke and Fire on 151st ST in OP has multiple colors of the mats if you've ever been there.