Cory

New Owner

Well after going back and forth with what I wanted to get I decided to go with the KK. I have always been the type of person that prefers buying items that last instead of replacing them over and over though the years. From everything I have read the KK should out last me. My next step is to learn how to cook on it but I have already found several good things to start with. The funny thing is I am out of town and it will get to my house before I will. I would like to ask though what is your favorite item to cook on your KK. That should give me a good list of items to try and keep me busy for a while.

Thanks

Cory

Re: New Owner

The best thing for a beginner is pork butt. I suggest you get some kind of remote thermometer, preferably one that monitors both dome and meat temp. I say this because the first time I did one, the hour and a half per pound rule was out the window. The kk is so well sealed, with airflow so controlled, the stall took forever to get past.

Trust your meat temps, cook to no less than 200 deg., rest for 45 min,. Useing a grill temp of 225 deg., this will take about 14-16 hrs. Use whatever rub you like, there are lot available online you make yourself, or buy a premix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pulled Pork for sure. One for sure good rub is Chris Lilly's championship rub and apple juice injection. I do all my "butt" cooks at 250...don't stress on a precise temp. A spatchcock chicken is very easy and tasty...and not to plug the video, but check the baked crispy chicken thigh video in the Forum Video collection. It uses the highest grill, quick and easy, and oh so tasty. Steaks and pizza are a must, but I would do a few low and slow cooks first.

Congrats on the KK purchase. You won't regret it!

Congrats on the new KK. We don't know what you have been cooking/grilling prior to the KK. I would suggest as a first cook chicken. This way you can play with the vents to adjust the temperature and in an hour or less you will have dinner. In time you can do a Pork Butt. The KK is so versatile that you will want to try many things, from grilling steaks, pizza, bread, cookies, smoke Ribs, and on and on.

Enjoy the journey.

A late Congrats on the new KK.

You'll be like a kid in a candy store for a while, cooking everything you can think of on this new toy. I cooked something different on mine every night for a week! The beauty is, the "new toy" feeling never gets old. You'll enjoy cooking on this grill so much, you'll never tire of it!!

Sorry I have been traveling a lot and have not been able to even unpack it. We also just had Sandy come through here as well so maybe it was better I didn't have a chance to get it out yet. Hopefully I will be able to open it this weekend after cleaning up after the storm.

Cory

Finally got my KK set up and cooked a Pork Butt. It turned out great!!! It took me a bit to get it lit but after that it got to 250 and pretty much stayed there. Can't wait to try something else now. I think I am going to look into something to help get it started a little easier for future cooks. Any suggestions?

When I first received my KK I purchased the Looflighter. Watching the videos helped sell the product. After the purchase I plugged it in, pushed the button, and within 4-5 min or so the char was lit. After seeing a Propane or Mapp torch in action I returned the Looflighter, drove over to the local hardware store and purchased the MAPP Torch. I LOVE THE TORCH! Within 1-2 min the Lump Char is ready ready to go. If you try it there's a good chance your Looflighter will be gathering dust in the garage. If what you're using works for you then that is what is most important. If you try the torch please let me know what you think? Take care, Craig

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2