mdbinkc

KK Arrived Today!!

fetch?id=68601 My 23" OTB Metallic Bronze beauty arrived a day earlier than expected, and all I can say is WOW! It exceeded my expectations in every way. And, thanks to all the great advice I received on this forum, I was well prepared for the delivery. I uncrated the Kamado, unpackaged all the accessories, and had it moved and set up in under two hours (with the help of two strong young men). Well, I said I was prepared, but we were lacking one key thing - a nice piece of meat to christen it with. So, don't laugh, but we improvised. I started the cooker up with the coco-char I received with the grill, added some apple chunks, threw a cast iron skillet on the lower grate with some peanut oil, and we cooked up some salmon patties! They were the best I ever had, no lie! I included a picture of my new work of art in its spot on my deck. Thanks again for all the advice. Can't wait to fire it up again tomorrow.

Re: KK Arrived Today!!

Wow, what a beautiful KK! Your KK really adds to the beauty of the surrounding area. I received my Vibrant Blue Pebble KK a few weeks ago and have to post some pictures. I was a little worried about adjusting the temp but after the initial venting process it turns out adjusting the temp is quite easy. Enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats... From page 21 of the owners manual...

Curing Process – the first cook

Komodo Kamados refractory material is fully cured in the factory, but it is recommended to bring the

grill up to 400º to remove the remaining solvent from the acrylic material that is both the adhesive

and grout for the tiles. Once the outside of the grill a bit hot, you will smell the acrylic paint like

smell.. Just let it run until this is no longer noticeable.. You can cook during this process as the

material is outside the grill. You will then want to take the grill to 550º for a half hour and raise it

50º for a half hour until you are up to 750º. If you see any venting thru the material or a tile lifts to

release trapped vapor, please drop the tempurature to 550º and let it run dry. You will then be able to

easily press the tile back into place. When it cools it will be firmly attached. Chances are you will not

see any venting; I just want you not to worry and how to deal with it if it does. After this

precautionary first schedule use you can grill at high temperatures without worry. You do not need to

do this high temp burn in right away. Just before you use the grill at high temperatures

To those that offered information on the break-in, Dennis emailed the user manual today, and I completed the burn-in of the grout. I'm in the middle of a low-and-slow pork butt cook, smoking with pecan chunks. Wish me luck!

Not to show my age, but I was thinking of naming her "Puff" as in "the Magic Komodo Dragon". Is that name taken? :smt003