Sanny

Sanny's First Cook

Sanny, I saw the close-up pic of your guru door on the other forum, and was wondering what the wingnuts were for? Hows that thing work?

I like the silicone plug - kind of like an aftermarket low-adjust knob...'course those come standard over here :P

I would have asked this on the other forum as well, but I have Persona Non Gratis status over there :wink:

There are locking bolts that go into the corresponding tubes in the cooker of non-Indonesian origin. Sort of fat with a split in them. When I tighten the wingnuts, the bolts do what they do to keep the door tight to the cooker. Then the hole in the door is where one would put a Guru if one had one. Or they sell a silicone plug that adjusts to let air in. :) Seems to work fine. Both the plug and the door are BBQGuru products.

I have the gas attachment for my cooker, and the OEM door is attached to that. So far, I've not found the gas thingy necessary to light the lump, so it could be a while before I install it. Besides, I forgot to buy a bottle of gas.

I neglected to purchase a solid door from the OEM at the time of purchase, but this might do. For hot heats, I've been warned I might have trouble getting enough air in, though, through the guru hole. Perhaps just taking the door off would work at high temps. Blast furnace style. lol

I leave my bottom wide open most of the time and just use the top for the adjustments. But with the low and slows (I did the MAJOR band adjustment recently) I still need to shut the bottom almost all the way also. I'm gonna do what DJ suggested and run a bead of some appropriate calk on the bottom half, put some wax paper on it and close it to dry. Then I should have a good seal.

I use my gas door all the time, but only to start the fire. I have a regular door that I use when cooking. I dont think you will have any problem using just the gas door for all your cooks, but you will definitely want to have something in there for a door.

I am curious to hear how your gas door performs...please let me know when you try it.

Sanny's Second Weekend

Well, here we go! I got the fire started early this morning, and put the salmon on. Walked the dog up to Starbarks for her Sunday morning bagel. An hour or so later, we were back. Ugh. Temp hovering at 150. Ok, so better than 600. Open some more vents, poof on the coals, get things going. Now, the wait...

salmonsmokingpz9.jpg

This is the salmon recipe I posted in the "what's on the grill this weekend" thread. Marinate in brown sugar, ginger, salt, allspice. Rub dry, pat with honey and peppercorns and smoke over hickory for a couple hours at 200-250. Fingers crossed! :)

***(time passes)***

Wow. I got the heat to the right place, and left it to smoke. The deception was that I thought it would turn pale pink, the way poached or other salmon does. Nope. Still bright orange! I flaked some off with a fork, and it was finished. Out it came! It's very deliciously smokey, and the flavor is great. Although I rinsed it well, it's still very salty. I'd cut down the salt in the recipe for next time, I think. But I'm planning to serve it with plain rice, so that'll offset the salt, I think. Maybe some dill cream, too. :D

Ceramic cooking life is, indeed, good. :)

The babybacks are on, now. Steve R-person's rib rack (Bed Bath and CashRegister, 19.99 if you take the ad from the website) and 4 slabs ALMOST fit on the cooker. :)

ribs1kc5.jpg

Progress!

Snooky liked the salmon. It was too salty (salmon, not snooky), but I served it room temp with cold cuke/dill/sour cream salad, and jasmine rice. They weren't salty, and spread out the flavors well. :D

Then I put the ribs on. Cooker hummed along all afternoon at 250. :) Whew! Just don't TOUCH anything! :lol:

Ribs were scheduled for 5 or 6 hours, but I checked at 4 hours. YIKES!! Goin for a 160 internal temp, and they were already there! Off they came! So, I put the rest of the ribs on. Costco packs are 3 slabs per pack of babybacks, so I had 2 left. Cut them in half, and put 4 short slabs on. Hope they'll be finished by bedtime. Should have enough lump, because I filled the lump basket this morning. About half a mop bucket full (very precise measuring).

Oh - new toy (other than the whole Q set up). Thermapen. I vote YES!!

The ribs are tasty. Not as strong a flavor of marinade in them as I'd have liked, but I spose I could have slathered them during the cook. Didn't. Kept the lid closed the whole time!!

Let them sit quietly for a bit, sliced in to individual ribs, and packed them in Tuppers for the work guys. :)

Ok, so I snagged a barky piece at the end. :::swoon:::

Nothin fancy about it. Peel cuke, cut in half longways. Run a spoon down the middle to trench out the seeds. Chop into little smiles. Toss with dill and sour cream. Don't drown in sour cream - just to coat. Chop some fresh dill and throw that in, too. Little squirt of lime juice isn't bad, either. If you like onions, chop some fresh in there, too. Salt if you like. I don't salt much, and I don't onion. Chill for a bit. Tastes great next to the salmon. Cold and "plain" flavor next to the strong flavor of the smoked salmon.

:)

I'm having a private babyback rib orgy.

The second round came off the grill about half an hour ago. Cooker stayed at 250 for an ENTIRE day!! I'm so proud. Today, though, unlike last time, it took the top damper open considerably wider.

I used white out to mark closed, eighth, quarter, half turns of the cap. One mark on center front of cooker, too. Marked on tile, so easy to thumbnail off if i want. I wanted just chalk, but couldn't find it quickly at the grocery. White out was on sale.

Ribs... must eat more ribs... NOW!!! AAAaaaaah! ;)

Ok ok, I stopped at three bones. Admirable restraint, I think.

Rib orgy

Well, the votes are in. I cut the slabs into individual ribs, and took them in a cooler and tupper to the mail room guys at work. They were ecstatic! I rec'd several hugs, and one guy might have needed a change of undies after the whole thing. :) I'd call that a success.

Nothin fancy about it. Peel cuke, cut in half longways. Run a spoon down the middle to trench out the seeds. Chop into little smiles. Toss with dill and sour cream. Don't drown in sour cream - just to coat. Chop some fresh dill and throw that in, too. Little squirt of lime juice isn't bad, either. If you like onions, chop some fresh in there, too. Salt if you like. I don't salt much, and I don't onion. Chill for a bit. Tastes great next to the salmon. Cold and "plain" flavor next to the strong flavor of the smoked salmon.

:)

I'm having a private babyback rib orgy.

The second round came off the grill about half an hour ago. Cooker stayed at 250 for an ENTIRE day!! I'm so proud. Today, though, unlike last time, it took the top damper open considerably wider.

I used white out to mark closed, eighth, quarter, half turns of the cap. One mark on center front of cooker, too. Marked on tile, so easy to thumbnail off if i want. I wanted just chalk, but couldn't find it quickly at the grocery. White out was on sale.

Ribs... must eat more ribs... NOW!!! AAAaaaaah! ;)

Ok ok, I stopped at three bones. Admirable restraint, I think.

Here is my recipe - viewtopic.php?p=4751#4751. Just a touch of vinegar and caraway added.