DennisLinkletter

I was robbed again.. ;-(

Argh.. Argh and Triple Argh!

We were ROBBED AGAIN this morning...

I did my typical night shift, went to bed at 4am..

Let my (worthless watch) dog out the back door to pee and went to bed.

Came out the next morning to find burglars had come over my razor wire sided wall with a ladder stole my 2 MacBooks, my briefcase with my passport, a full wallet, Sai's fully loaded purse, my new Sony NEX 7 camera and a nice throw blanket on the couch..Go figure ;-(

Three years ago when probably the same guys ripped me off they also stole all my backup hard drives..

That hurt the most.. loosing a bunch of photos of my kids growing up.

This time I had a remote wifi backup and I even have a backup from that morning.. Did not loose even one file but it has taken me almost two days to transfer the information and index it.

Second time in three years.. Gotta get more serious about security..

I have an appointment next week with some security guys and insurance guys..

I'm told the trick is to put lasers on all the walls and have flashing lights and sirens go off when they are tripped.

Same night an AU guy was stabbed multiple times but lived during a burglary.

Sad side note.. We were supposed to go to Singapore Tuesday for a holiday with the kids.. since I no longer have a passport.. I'll be a couple days late

2013 can only get better!

Re: I was robbed again.. ;-(

Dennis,

How horrible this must be for you and your family. Last April my wife and I, son and daughter-in-law experienced a theft while visiting Cordoba, Spain. I remember the anger, frustration and feeling of helplessness that came over me. As you, we only lost "things", but unlike you it was not a personal invasion of our space.

I hope your visit to the security people results in a solution to this awful problem. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Jim

P.S. Please ignore my recent email until you gain some normalcy back into your life - no urgency.

My family is saddened by what has fallen on you again. We hope that this never happens again are so glad that your family and you are in good shape. If there was some way that a KK could be a lock safe I feel sure that they could not steal anything. All our best in the new year. Scouterpf.

That sucks. I too was a victim of some thieves. There is nothing that I hate more than a thief.

While we were home they used a slim jim to unlock my wifes car which was in the driveway. They used her garage door opener, opened my garage and took my road King which was on a frame jack along the back wall of the garage. My car was parked in front of it leaving only a few feet to work. All the lights were on in the garage but they didn't care and they proceeded to literally clean out my garage. Motorcycle, mountain bikes, pool cleaners etc etc.

Now tighter security measures are in place which include a 40 cal device that sends fast moving projectiles :eek:

My dog was snoring and didn't even bark...... :roll:

For insurance alarms I have found that a Chihuahua is the next best thing to geese. (If in the insured area)

A Chihuahua may not attack. Geese will!! (Neither can be made to shut up)

My home insurance:

1- Sjambok (from Cold Steel)

Sjambok used once.

Results = Outstanding

Dennis, I'm sorry to hear this.

No one wants to get to the confrontation stage. Like any sport, every team wins some of the time. I don't like the odds here.

I keep wondering if the wall lasers come variable power. I mused once about trying to electrocute the squirrels taking over my garage, and my normally pacifist brother-in-law said two words: Think 220.

Given the desire for no witnesses, I wonder if the most effective deterrent would be a video feed into the cloud, if such a service is available to you. If so, I'd be tempted to post a monitor at the gate, to highlight the existence of the service.

Our alarm service phones us during mishaps (sensor falls from door) but it would be more effective to have a speaker system. A broadcast into the house "we have the suspects on video; ask them to leave" might avoid further confrontation.

I'd also be thinking a safe room, and a communications channel no one can tamper with, including perhaps a default response if your service can't reach you.

Like computer security or backup, one needs a mix of strategies. Any one approach can be easily defeated, but one can't defeat a approach unless one knows it's there.

If they come in our house, there will be a confrontation. My wife likes her S+W .357 Magnum revolver. I keep a 1911 handy. The five coondogs provide the Early Warning System. And in Texas, the homeowner is king. The sheriff will come over, thank us for our service to the community, and head back to the house.

Dennis

Sorry to hear.....I have found that there are some really inexpensive trail/hunting cameras that will record and transmit via wireless to your backup site. I know it won't stop an actual invasion but it sure records faces a lot of detail about the who and how of an invasion and removal of equipment. Make sure one is pointed down your driveway and one at each door. Some are IR and others need a flash but the flash just agrivates the situation. Hope this solution helps.

obanker

Dennis, I've been away. Very sorry to hear of your plight, Very happy no one was injured in any way .My mind is racing thinking of what i would do in your place. Maybe a 32" cooker with some fake gold plate jewelry inside to lure them and then the lid slams shut! but seriously thankful that you are safe.