Smokydave

Thermoworks probes

Re: Thermoworks probes

I sent Thermoworks an email and they said that the probe can't be bent or it would likely break. Do you guys have their probes or different ones? The reason I ask is that I was able to bend my iGrill probe, but the Thermoworks probes look pretty heavy duty.

I guess you would ask why don't I just stick with the iGrill? Good question. But I think that if I just stuck with what I have, I wouldn't be on this forum right now and I would still be messing with my 400lb stick-burner instead of my bad-as_ KK!!!

:mrgreen:

talisker63

I just tried to setup my ET-732 with my 23", Gen II KK and encountered the problem whereby the food probe can't be threaded through the hole on the right side near the lid. I see you were able to bend your probe, and I'm considering whether to try that, or just send my ET-732 back and try something else.

Any chance you can offer some additional advice on how you bent that food probe successfully? Did you heat it up in some way first? I assume the probe is basically a hollow metal tube, so I'm concerned about kinking it while trying to straighten it.

In hindsight, I wish Maverick had just made the tip and ring connector for the probe straight rather than right angle. Then I could have threaded the connector end through the KK tube. I actually called and suggested this to Maverick hoping they had an alternate probe but no luck.

Thanks

Craig

Postby talisker63 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Sorry got a Maverick 732 and a Weber branded Maverick 73. Straightened both food probes in a vice with no trouble at all.

The are quite thick, I bent them in small stages to gradually straighten the bend.

If you're in the market for a great instant read thermometer, the Thermopens are on sale right now.

Only $69 while supply lasts

Limit 3 per customer

• Open Box or refurbished units

•Like new condition

• Includes instructions and calibration certificate

• Ships with Thermapen User Guide

• Full warranty

• Available only in North America, Central America and the Caribbean

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_2013.html?utm_source=Nl-2013Jan18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=shop_now&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=openbox-cs

talisker63, mguerra,

Wanted to let you both know, I followed your suggestion and was able to straighten out my meat probe with a vice without a problem. Then used it to cook up a 12lb brisket which smoked for around 20 hours. Wonderful... Don't think it would have turned out as good without the Marverick probes to keep an eye on things.

- Craig

I don't suppose anyone here on the forum needs to know it, but for any newcomers, you definitely want to finish most of your cooks by temperature, not time. The only exception I can think of is the brisket tenderness test.

Glad your probe worked out craig.