jclarkhpa

Pulled Lamb

I had some friends ask me to put two small briskets on the KK for them this weekend, and I jumped at the chance since I haven't been able to do anything for the past 3 weeks (Going into my busy season of the year at work). I decided to break my KK cooks into two. Low and slow on Saturday, then hot and fast with some tri-tips Sunday evening. I wasn't sure what to cook, and was tempted to keep working on my rib experiments. However, I decided to try something new. I was inspired by talisker63's post on Lamb Souvlaki and so went to the local market Saturday morning to see what I could find. I was able to get a boneless leg of lamb and decided to try it. Since it was boneless I had to tie it up with butcher string and put a quick rub on it. I used Dennis' suggestion about starting with a handful of charcoal, putting some wood on and letting it clear up, then put the rest of the charcoal in. I then threw on my heat diverter and my drip pan. I put on my lamb plus two small briskets.

fetch?id=74619

I was really trying to not foil it and get through the stall without doing anything, but I didn't want to stay up long after midnight and so I finally decided to foil. Around 10PM (started around 10AM) I pulled the meat off the KK and everything was around 190-195 degrees. fetch?id=74621

I foiled the brisket and gave it to my friends and I let my lamb rest for an hour. After cutting the twine I saw the meat was tender and easy to pull

apart. Here's a few photos of the pulled meat.

fetch?id=74622fetch?id=74623fetch?id=74624

It was absolutely delicious. It had a very mild flavor and was juicy. Today I cooked the wife and I breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs (with a hint of chipotle pepper seasoning), pulled lamb, tomatoes, and avocado. Very good. I have a little time this afternoon for a nap before I am going to crank the KK back up and cook some tri tip. Aloha, jclarkhpa 23" Dark Autumn Nebula

Re: Pulled Lamb

I never thought of doing a "pulled" lam, I have done leg of lamb and boned leg of lamb and they are always good. If the bned leg of lamb if not too much more than bone in I buy several and KK them with garlic,rosemay or a coffe-cardamon rub, or green olive spread before I tie them up.

My wife and I will be cruising to HI and then in Maui for a week around September/October; are you in Maui? :roll:

Re: Pulled Lamb

Hi,

I'm on the Island of Hawai'i, or the Big Island. We're right next to Maui. You'll have a lot of fun there. I had some business on Oahu and flew back to Kona this afternoon. As we were coming in for a landing I looked out in the ocean and saw a whale breach, he was about 3/4 out of the water, did a turn to land on his back, and splash back down into the water. I love living here! The whales start coming late December and leave late march. If you come in Sept./Oct. you'll have good weather and less people since summer vacation is done and there's no major holidays. If you get over to the Big Island, give me a shout. I travel in the fall, so there's a chance I won't be here, but if I'm home you're welcome to a BBQ.

If I can find it, I'd like to try to do the bone in and leave it like that on the table. That's a great suggestion, but the downside to living in paradise is that you can't always get everything here. I used to get a fresh slaughtered lamb each year from a rancher, but I haven't done that for a while. I should probably look him up again.

I travel a lot and I remember having some great lamb in the Middle East, Africa, as well as in Europe. However, I still remember having a lamb dish in Kazakhstan that had some great spices, pull apart tender, and really juicy. It had more persian spices, like cinnamon, cardamom, etc. (these are my guesses, who knows if I'm right). I think I'll try to see if I can recreate the flavor profile. I'll probably put the lamb in the KK, cook some vegetables in our Tagine, then throw the lamb into the Tagine at the last minute after it's already cooked. I'm not sure when I'll be able to do this, but it's already fun trying to guess what spices I should use, etc.

Aloha,

jclarkhpa

23" Dark Autumn Nebula