Gazza

Just learning about our new KK

KK arrived a week ago and we've given it a good run. Just one issue so far is a number of recipes ask for 200-225 deg but I can't get mine down under 250 with all vents shut. In fact the top is wound down TIGHT.

We light the charcoal and tweak the vents early to prevent going too high.

Is this normal on a ceramic cooker ?

Re: Just learning about our new KK

I'm guessing you are lighting a big charcoal starter full of charcoal.

Please only light about a tennis ball volume of charcoal and open the damper top about one quarter turn with the lower draft door wheel just cracked about the thickness of a coin.. Let it run and come up slowly.

;);)

Do not close the Top Vent completely tight as you might have difficulty opening it

when you need to open it. I did that a few times and when I could not budge the Top Vent I promised

the KK Gods I will never close it that tightly. It worked!

One way to start very little charcoal is to simply set one lit True 'Cue, (or equivalent) starter on top of your charcoal.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Cue-Natural- ... rue+%22Cue

A disadvantage of this is that it will take a long time to get the fire up to and stabilized at 225 or so. If you are hanging around the house and don't mind, it's OK.

Sometimes I want to get a 225 fire going, get the meat on and get out of the house in mere minutes. In that case I use the Guru. I open the little sliding vent on the Guru to 1/4 or even less, set the temp to 225, start the fire as above, close the bottom KK vent, barely crack the top vent off its seat, and leave.

We have talked about overshoot before. Even if you get some overshoot with the above method, it won't be enough to matter with those tiny vent openings and that tiny fire start. Also, a low and slow is not temperature critical. Any temp from 200 to 275 will yield perfect low and slow results. 225 is THE NUMBER you see referenced all the time for low and slow. Well, that is not written in stone, I promise. That was a long winded comment to say just start a very little bit of charcoal to keep the fire temp down.

Whoops, we forgot to give Gazza the standard reply.

Do you know that your lid latch has two positions? If you push it lightly it will catch on the first detent and you might think you just latched it shut. In fact, my wife did that just 2 days ago. Nope, that first detent leaves the lid slightly open. You have to push the latch hard and feel it go through the first detent and then latch hard in to the the second detent. THAT seals your lid down airtight. And if your lid is not airtight, you cannot achieve low temperature control. Also, you might destroy your gasket by exposing it to a higher heat than it can tolerate.

Thanks all. :)

Yep knew about the double latch but didn't realise I could use such a small amount of charcoal (tennis ball) for a slow cook. Just have to work out how long it will burn. Thanks also for the 200-270 tip.

We're using a local hardwood lump charcoal recommended by many here in Melbourne. I found the easiest way to light it is via a heat gun pointing at one spot........just like the loof lighter. Takes 60 seconds and then sparks up.

One other thing that surprises me is how hot the exterior gets. I can't imagine how hot the lesser brands must get after a few hours. This is going to double as my outdoor heater in winter !

Made pizza for the first time last night.....all I've read is true :)

Just to be sure, fill the basket every time with charcoal, and only light the amount Dennis suggested. I use a mapp torch, or a looftlighter, and just light one spot, that works fine.

When you say the outside gets warm, can you leave your hand on it when you have 250 ish degrees?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now I'm a little confused about the charcoal......

I've been using a fullish basket but only lighting one spot at the top/middle of the pile.I thought it burnt downwards.

Re touch......I can't leave my hand on it at 250 degrees after an hour and the top has to be handled with a cloth to adjust it.

At 250 deg f you should be able to leave your hand on it almost indefinitely.

Perhaps you should call Dennis and let him explain everything personally. He will have you grilling like a master in no time.

250 degrees C or F?

The outside of your KK should barely be warm if it is running at 250° F. 250° C is 480° F and that will yield a warmish exterior.

Fill your basket with charcoal, light a small central bit at the top, that is correct for a low temp 200° ish F. For a hot fire light more.

The hot exterior is interesting. One remarkable thing about the kk is how well insulated it is. Even out to 450-500 deg. F I can put my hand on the grill, and adjust the top vent with no discomfort. Assuming it's not in direct sunlight, and that you're dealing with F temperature scale, maybe your thermometer is bad? This would explain a lot. All my friends who have seen my kk in action comment on how cool the exterior is during a cook.

Having seen the 3 part video on Youtube I too thought the exterior would be warm to the touch. It is hot here at the moment .......around 91F every day but its not in direct sunlight.

Doing a fairly long cook this Sunday and will re assess.

I have checked the thermometer and its fine.

The manual didn't come with the unit and now I have a pdf version giving startup and venting directions etc. I hope I haven't damaged the insulation properties in any way. I ran the unit slow for about 2 hours and then cranked it up to 650 for 5 minutes when it first arrived. No visible signs of damage though.

Sounds like you've got it under control. If all else fails, Dennis the best resource there is, and has always been more than happy to help in any way. Good luck, and pictures are always welcome!