Gazza

Just learning about our new KK

Re: Just learning about our new KK

Thanks to talisker63 got some different and more lumpy charcoal today ready for tomorrow"s cook.

Fired it up for a trial today as per instructions offered by all. At first the charcoal went out so I relit in 2 spots. It climbed steadily and then over shot to 400F very quickly. I had the bottom vent fully open and the top open 1/2 turn.

I realised with no heat diffuser it was too hot for the thermometer so in it went and then the temp came down to a constant 300F. I also closed the vents to top 1/4 and the bottom about a credit card.

After 1 hour at 300F the outside temps were between 135F just under the top vent and 150 at handle level.

Guess I'll have to watch for that overshoot tomorrow morning :)

For any cook at 350ºF or less you won't want the bottom vent open more than half an inch, just barely open for a low and slow. If you are really out there right on top of it, you could open the vent all the way for just a few minutes to get the fire going faster, and then narrow it down, but that's only going to save you a few minutes in the long run. Better to just start with a smaller opening.

For any cook at 350ºF or less you won't want the bottom vent open more than half an inch' date=' just barely open for a low and slow. If you are really out there right on top of it, you could open the vent all the way for just a few minutes to get the fire going faster, and then narrow it down, but that's only going to save you a few minutes in the long run. Better to just start with a smaller opening.[/quote']

I do the second option. If I were to do the first option, what would be the position of the top Vent ?

Thanks.

I did not fully understand your question. But for a low and slow I barely crack the top vent off its seat. For a 350º roast, I probably open the top vent about 2 full turns. For a really hot grilling fire, I just leave the lid open.

Second the using of the uppermost rack for spatchcocked chicken, direct heat, skin side down - anywhere from 350F to 425F will work fine. Don't worry about it drying out; ceramic grills are the absolute best for cooking moist chicken and crispy skin all at the same time.

If you want truly crispy skin, you have to air dry the chicken (unwrapped) in the fridge overnight.

Here's a link to spatchcocking chickens - http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4815

I do the same. I put an aluminum pan underneath with potatoes that I pre-cooked in the Microwave Oven as wells cloves of garlic. I add olive oil and seasoning to the potatoes. Sometimes I make a compound butter and put it underneath the skin of the breast and thighs. So when the chicken is cooking the juices go into the pan with the potatoes. Can't go wrong. o

Delicious and super moist.

I can't believe how well this thing cooks.

Unfortunately most of the marinade caramelised on the bars of the grill and the skin didn't crisp up enough.....so next time it will be back the the beer can for the next chook.

I cook my chickens direct on the main grill with one flip, most of the time and it works great. But using the rotisserie is better! If you have the roti, try it, you will love it. If not, get a roti for sure. One little mishap a lot of us have had is not locking down the retainers tight enough and having the chicken (or other meat) fall in the fire. Lock them securely. Do a forum search for roti chicken or rotisserie chicken, loads of info.